You know you're an overachiever when

You know those signs: the ones that make you realize you aren’t satisfied with 1667 words per day or reaching 50k exactly on day 30. The ones that make you realize you’re One of us.

To get us started…

…your coworkers are talking about doing NaNo and part of you is trying to figure out the best way to explain overachieving. (Even though you know they won’t be very surprised by it.)

…you describe groups of NaNo friends as “NaNo friends” and “OA friends”.

…you’re trying to take it “easy” this year but that still involves six digits.

8 Likes

… you realise that you are going to need way more bunnies in the stashpile even if you are only going for 6 digits this year.

3 Likes

… When you have no idea what you’ll be writing, but it will be a lot, probably

6 Likes

…you show your friend your line graph’s sudden spike on day 3 that turns into you being a full 15K ahead of par for the rest of the month and the friend isn’t even surprised at this point.

4 Likes

When you have your first 100k+ nano and the following year, 60k does not feel like winning, even though it’s exactly what was planned for around life events.

4 Likes

… when you’ve overachieved so much that you had to find new challenges:

• see if I can still win Nano by writing only the last three days.
  • see if I can still win Nano by writing only the last day.

… when you are looking forward to #50kweekend, even if you haven’t won it in the past three years.

… when you want to write more than 50k… although you are traveling most of the month away. (oops!)

4 Likes

… when every “personal best” month becomes the minimum benchmark against which all future efforts are judged. Last month’s herculean accomplishment is this month’s bare minimum.

… when you convince yourself that the above is not a problem nor indicative of sweeping character flaws at all, probably.

… when you start setting annual goals measured in fractions of a million.

… when you now write as much in a good day as you used to write in a bad month.

… when all of your dogs solidly recognize the Shut Up, I’m Thinking Blanket as a visual “Mom’s not here right now, go lay down” cue and you don’t have to say a word anymore.

… when you initially began using said Thinking Blanket during November when a blanket is a perfectly rational focus aid/prop, but NaNo has conditioned the cue so thoroughly that you use the Thinking Blanket when focusing year-round, including on 90-degree summer days, because you just think better that way now.

… when “How many outlines should I have ready by the end of October?” is a perfectly sensible question.

4 Likes

… when you see that you are 60k from your annual goal and you think, “Awesome! I’m sprinting distance away from meeting my goal!” and then you remember that just a year ago, that 60k “sprint” felt like a LOT.

3 Likes

… Your friends won’t do word wars with you unless you’re basically the Final Boss and the rest can pool their word counts together in an attempt to beat you at a 15 minute word sprint.

6 Likes