What is your favorite feature of Discourse?

We’ve talked about what we’re not crazy about, but I want to know what you’re looking forward to! My favorite new feature is the ability to merge and split topics. No more closing duplicate threads, or having to tell people “this is a great discussion, but not relevant here” – we can just create it! This will allow us to facilitate conversation more, rather than just shutting down conversations because they don’t fit. I’ve never liked having to do that, and I’m excited about no longer having to!

I also like the profile cards; when they’re working properly (right now they’re not quite importing from the main part of the site’s profile the way they’re supposed to) but they’ll be a great compromise for the much-maligned signature. People can have their personalization, but those who don’t want to SEE it don’t have to in the regular course of conversation!

3 Likes

My favorite feature is one most people won’t care about or know it exists. The very rich API you get as a default. Although you need a User-API key generated by an admin or have a custome authentication callback defined to properly utilize it, you can get a lot of information programmatically. For example, any non-admin user can access this url to get a JSON representation of my public profile. It’s just the normal profile URL with .json added to it. That’s true for pretty much everything on Discourse.

This is the JSON version of this thread as it exists at the time it is clicked. That may not seem that useful, but for some types of threads it can some in very handy. :slight_smile:

Edit: Helps if you add the .json to the URL LOL!

3 Likes

I like the mentions. Saves me from having to PM people to let them know about some topic they might be interested in.

3 Likes

I’m a little afraid of the mentions. People are going to mention me instead of using the flagging system. They do it on the FB group ALL the time (seriously, drives me nuts.)

2 Likes

You’ve got a point there.

Still, it’s good for the regular users, and I’m sure there will be times when swifter action than a flag may be necessary.

(And I spelled necessary without using two cs! First time in forever!)

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s really just a “me” problem. Although trust me, the way I work, mentioning me doesn’t get my attention faster. If I’m online, I immediately go to flags!

3 Likes

I also like the wider BBcode support in posting. After a bazillion years on message boards, I think my DNA has square brackets.

4 Likes

And on the FB group, it actually slows things down; if I’m not online, mentioning me means that moderators who are online don’t know there’s an issue!

2 Likes

Oh yeah, mentions can go horribly wrong in more ways than one. In the RP forum people do things @here or @group quite regularly. In one RP awhile back there was an @moderators tag in a reply as part of political debate. On here that won’t end well unless you turn off the default behavior of allowing mentions of that group :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Looks like someone did change that default
EDIT2: or not. It just didn’t auto-link it like it should, but the mention still shows on the mentions page for the group :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is where the API comes in handy. On the Discourse installs I admin for friends I have a tool that uses the API to pull the list of flags from all of them and displays them in a list so I can see all of them in one place :slight_smile:

1 Like

For the live instance, anything that can spam a lot of people with junk most of them don’t care about should be turned off by default.

1 Like

Where is that option? Is that a category level thing, or something to do in admin settings? I swear, I need to go through those admin settings one at a time and figure out what each one does. Sigh.

1 Like

It should be defaulted to this for the admins group, but on the groups page if you click the group then click Interactions in the sidebar and there are two related options. The Mentions setting is the first one an it defaults to Admins and Moderators. Setting it to nobody will prevent it generating notifications, but it will still show on the mentions page. The option to message the group controls the ability to send group PMs using the group name instead of having to send to each member. That setting you probably don’t want to leave as Everyone.

1 Like

Gotcha. That’s an esoteric bit of functionality. Have I told you lately that I love you? Because I do. I love you.

1 Like

I like emojis. It’s a lot better than using XD or ;D or whatever. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

And I want to see what it takes to get our NaNo emojis over here, too!

2 Likes

I like the like button! I’ve wanted one of those for years, ever since I was on the Bump forums in 2014-15 and saw how useful that was in a forum setting.

5 Likes

I just found the button to change the screen from light to dark :scream: Where has this been the past three years I’ve been on the forums?

3 Likes

I’m also a big fan of the emojis, the like button, and the option for different themes. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Another one of my favorite features is that you can see when other users are typing on a specific thread. It’s helpful to prevent simultaneous posting on game threads, and it’s just generally fun to see that other people are hanging out on the forums with you!

4 Likes

Shoutouts.

2 Likes