What did you learn today?

This is such a dangerous question, but it could be fun. What weird thing did you Google and learn today? Maybe we can share notes. :joy:

3 Likes

Not today, but the last time I answered this question on Twitter, I answered The color of a chicken’s egg is determined by the color of the chicken’s earlobe.

4 Likes

Today I learned that the HTML produced by Scrivener 3 on MacOS will cause the editor on Discourse to choke when creating the preview if you use bold and italics heavily in your manuscript. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

So, I learned what Tapioca bubbles are! Not weird, but really cool!

1 Like

Today I learned that while generally speaking the amount of weight you can lose in three weeks is 10lbs, it takes a week or so to starve to death unless you’re eating just a little something. (Provided they have enough water.) So if you’re slowly starving a character to death, if they eat a little bit over the course of three weeks, they can lose 40-50lbs!

I was the first morbid one. :wink:

4 Likes

I learned that you have to consume rather a large quantity of foxglove for it to be a reliable poison, so my scenario where the housekeeper just adds a few dried flower petals to her master’s willowbark tea to ‘put him out of his misery’ might not be realistic. :thinking:

2 Likes

Wow, really? I always thought it was deadly poisonous. Maybe try a few drops of antifreeze. The stuff that goes in a car. That’s pretty deadly.

Today I learned that if you’re a lucid dreamer, what you eat could have an effect on what you dream about.

3 Likes

@Lilyanabell WHAT

That’s what some of the stuff I looked at said. Like if you eat fish, you’re more likely to have a bad dream.

Today I learned that diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma (type of brain cancer) in children is one of the more fatal kinds, and develops ridiculously fast.

I learned how to alphabetize a row in a table in Apple pages. It didn’t work like I thought it would. I also learned what names are Irish, Scottish, or Celtic. It was very enlightening. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh yes, those names are fun.

1 Like

That’s a pretty fine-tooth comb.

1 Like

Today I learned that diagramming is not required in every country in the world. Time for me to move. :joy:

1 Like

@Lilyanabell Like what kind of diagramming? Like sentence diagramming? Or something else?

@SepiaAndDust Yes it is, but everyone in my Camp Nano story needs to have a Scottish/Irish/Celtic name because of where it’s set and what time frame it’s in. :blush:

1 Like

Sentence diagramming. Kind of wild that it isn’t everywhere, although it confirms my claims that it’s extraneous and unnecessary. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Best bet is Behind the Name. Don’t miss the categories at the bottom.

4 Likes

I LOVE Behind the Name! They’re so amazing. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I actually didn’t mind too much… Too many of them and my brain might leak out my ears, but in small amounts they’re ok. lol

1 Like