That's Totally a Word - Spellchecker woes

When you and your spellchecker disagree, you go and double-check the internet to make sure you did spell it right and you totally did, your spellchecker is just being silly.

Today for me: “numerological”.

How dare my wizards use numbers in their magic.

10 Likes

Or your little elf in your phone/tablet (aka autocorrect) decides that no, that’s not the word you wanted even though you typed it and it changes it to an entirely different, unrelated, and not even closely spelled word.

5 Likes

or declines to offer you the word you do want for autocomplete purposes even though it should be an obvious possibility

4 Likes

Autocorrect = autocorrupt.

7 Likes

OMG, yes! What’s even worse is trying to get my little elf (I saw a meme on FB calling autocorrect a little elf in your phone and I now call mine a little elf. Sometimes, he’s drunk I swear) to learn the spellings of my difficult character names (Like Shahryar and Scheherazade, both of which are a nod to 1001 Arabian Nights - aka where the story of Aladdin comes from.)

And my spellcheck on my computer apparently doesn’t like Aladdin :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Me: And it went boom
SC: And it went goat

Like… how even?

8 Likes

I so love when I’m only one letter off from what I intended and spellchecker has no idea what word I meant, so I have to Google it. I also love scientific words (or even long words in general): I spelled it correctly, you nut!

@Eeyore483 This reminds me of our hyper fairy that frequently farted from one place to another because your autocorrect couldn’t comprehend him darting.

8 Likes

I had autocorrect (which was supposed to be turned off!) change achoo to school THREE times the other day. Finally, it learned better. Then I shut it off again.

7 Likes

I like to use British spellings for certain words. Small problem with that:
I’m American.
Spellcheck hates me.
So I shut off the squiggly lines. There’s no way you can convince me that “colour” is an incorrect spelling. Or “saviour.” Come on, now… lol.

3 Likes

I learned to spell in England. My dad was in the Air Force, and I started school there. I still put u’s in certain words, and it’s been over 30 years since we moved back to the States.

1 Like

Hear, hear!

(says the Canadian)

1 Like

I just upgraded my phone and pretty much everything in the last week has been correcting dumb things that it’s changed. There are just so many that are just ridiculous.

At least I know I’ll always have a job editing my work with autocorrect on the loose.

11 Likes

I know it probably doesn’t count, but I tend to get the red lines when I try writing my characters’ names…especially in the fantasy story that I worked on for some time last year. Uh, yeah, no, MS Word, that is actually how those “words” are spelled, but thanks.

1 Like

Unamused is not a word, nope, uh uh, why would you even think that? That’s wrong

you sound unamused

< comedic genius

–oh, relatedly? voice to text woes! I can’t find my documentation of any of the more egregious whoopses I’ve encountered; synecdochic is here teaching her Dragon to swear which is not illustrating quite the same problem I’m thinking of (this is “built-in dictionary excludes profanity”, not “what on earth did I say to tell Dragon it should type that?”) but you will get the idea.

Actually unamused is technically not a word. Yet. It’s used so often I’m sure it will be added to the dictionary soon to become an “official word.” The grammatically correct way of saying it is not amused. Which is why spell check doesn’t like unamused.

1 Like

Also, Queen Victoria said, “We are not amused,” not… “We are unamused…”

I just wanted to type "We are not amused…

3 Likes

Says who? A quick internet search indicates “unamused” is already in a bunch of dictionaries. (And apparently has its own emoji for that matter. :unamused: )

1 Like

It took me the longest time to notice my phone was changing “indefensible” to “invisible”. It might have saved the army if they’d had an invisible position.

5 Likes

in my sci-fi novel i had to argue with the computer over connectome. IT’S A THING DAMNIT. so’s epigenetics! and neurophysiology - but funny thing with that one. neurophysiology is incorrect BUT neurophysiology’s is fine. WHAT AND WHY WHY YOU DRUNK LIL SPELLCHECKER U

4 Likes