Stupendous September - Sharing Word Counts and Checking In!

I am now halfway through my friend’s novel. My husband is going out of town tonight, so it’s just going to be me and the girlfriend at home. I’m hoping I can get another halfway through tonight, then finish and send it back tomorrow.

Then it will be back to plotting for me!

Today’s Goals:

• Leave comments through chapter 18
  • Wash dishes

Stretch Goals:

• Poke fanfic
  • Poke ring prompt
  • Fold laundry
  • Submit a short story
3 Likes

Yesterday actually went pretty well! I at least got everything on the “need to do” list done and most of the “want to do” list as well. I will be spending part of this evening writing at a coffee shop, so maybe I can do some catch up there.

One thing on the “need” list, besides work and feeding myself:

• 2 homework problems. Still trying to prevent the last minute rush Sun night.

Things I really want to do:

• Writing Prompt
  • Bullet point the first sequence of the :pirate_flag:
  • Duolingo

Stretch Goals:

• One or Two additional writing prompts, as that’ll get me caught up or close to caught up (Got one done! Almost caught up!)
  • Act Two of :pirate_flag: in paragraph form
2 Likes

Checking out:

• School prep things - Maybe?
  • Goat things - Yes
  • Theater things - Yes!
  • Writing things - Yep, worked on my character Excel sheet
  • Fun things - Audiobooked
  • Life things - Some.

Checking in:

• Rehearsal
  • Movie night with friends
  • Chores
  • Writing (I’ve already started figuring out how to deepen a flat-ish character)

Story a day hasn’t totally been happening with me, but I’ve been working on some stuff with the focus of actually finishing some projects, and that’s been cool.

1 Like

Checking In (Friday September 13):

—Teach 8th grade ELA
—Play Pokemon Go
—Take a nap after school
—Go to races if weather holds out
—Make some progress on work for school, grad classes, or both

1 Like
  • See if I can get the exact numbers on my car insurance rate
  • Jerb for seven and a half hours
  • Find info on other insurance providers
  • Begin making calls Checked websites. Same difference.
  • One round of PT exercises At the very end of the day, but done.
  • At least start on flowers Most of my evening was taken up looking up car insurance quotes, now that I know how much my rates have been jacked up by my current provider. What I thought was a six-month figure was, in fact, per month. I’ve found one that I think I’m going to go with but I want to sleep on it first.
1 Like

Checking in late.

0/something.
0/1 character design.
0/1 flash fiction.

I didn’t get to any writing yesterday, but I did do two character designs, which I’m hoping to work on some more today. I’m also eager to get back to the scene I’m on, so hopefully I can get all that done between doing laundry and cleaning up my room.

Hello again. Well I’m still here but I’m not enjoying it. Every morning for a few years now one of the first things I’ve done is to come on our thread to see how everyone’s doing. Always cheered me up and was a good start to the day. Now not so much! It no longer feels cosy and welcoming. Why are the avatars so tiny? I can’t see anyone. And why are replies so far from the original that you can’t remember what it’s about? I’m trying not to be old-ladyish and reactionary about it but DONT LIKE IT. There, that’s my Saturday started with a rant!

Other than that, I’ve had a good week. We went away for a couple of days, not very far, to Staffordshire. Saw a fantastic museum at Stoke-on-Trent, an amazing cathedral at Lichfield and an interesting castle at Tamworth, where I discovered that Georgian bonnets suit me. I’m not usually a hat person. Did no writing whatsoever but I had another poem published in Riggwelter this month so perhaps I can rest on my laurels for a few days!
Have a great weekend, everyone.

3 Likes

I don’t like it, either! The edit button works; that’s about all this new format has going for it. I want to be able to do things like bullets and strikethrough without hacking it with my limited HTML skills. Argh!

2 Likes

I don’t like the way the replies are so far down from the original post either. Unfortunately I think we’re pretty well stuck with this format.

I know I’ve been absent for nearly two weeks. IE wouldn’t let me connect to the forums at all. So I had no choice but to download Chrome. At least now I can access the forums and I can see my projects laid out properly. Now I can officially get back to work.

By the way, Belle, I’m very glad you’re here. You always know how to cheer me up when I feel like I’m not getting anywhere on my book. I love that about you. I hope you stay.

1 Like

Congratulations on getting yet another poem published. It’s good to see you here even if you don’t like the set-up. I’m always glad to see you’ve visited.

2 Likes

You don’t need HTML for either of those. :slight_smile:

I highly recommend reading this tutorial as it explains how to do the formatting and it also addresses how to see replies in context.

2 Likes

You’re right; I don’t have to use HTML. I can use Markdown or BBCode, which are the exact same thing with different symbols. I don’t want to have to code things; I want to press a button and have everything done, the way we used to.

Look, I know you have nothing to do with it and I know it’s too late to change anything. But don’t expect us to be thrilled with an interface that’s no improvement from the previous one, beyond a working edit button, and is indeed a step down.

3 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

It’s a jerb-free Saturday, with much to be done, and I’ve already dithered away most of the morning. Will have to catch up.

Already done:

• First round of PT exercises
  • Unloaded dishwasher

Yet to be done:

• Do a little more comparison shopping on car insurance and then settle on the best option
  • Cancel current car insurance once I’ve settled on something
  • Load dishwasher
  • Put recyclables in bin
  • Run a load of darks
  • Run a load of lights
  • Flowers
  • Go to hair salon and get skunk stripe removed
  • Clean kitchen
  • Clean bathroom
  • Cook dinner
  • Wash pots after dinner

Stretch goals:

• Clean bedroom
  • Clean living room
  • Vacuum carpet
  • Vacuum tile
  • Vacuum rug
1 Like

Belle, I hope you stick it out. Both selfishly (I love seeing you here, your posts cheer me up) and I know you need us, too.

I agree 100% with what’s being said. The one thing I was hoping for, the payoff for having to learn a new site, was if we got a better view of responses to posts. Not only did that not happen but it IS worse!

It’s a steep learning curve for not much reward in my opinion but maybe I’m wrong. Maybe something else will be better and make this worth it. I’m an optimist. And I still love the people here.

1 Like

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Checking In (Saturday September 14):

–Watch the newest Fruits Basket episode (Kyo’s “True Form”…eep!)
–Errand Day
–Play Pokemon Go
–Work on/complete weekly assignments for grad classes
–Go to library/renew library books
–Grade assessments for at least one full class
–Do any needed prep work for middle classes this week (only four teaching days this week!)
–Catch up in reading the Fruits Basket manga. (I’m a bit behind…)

Yesterday went all right; I did get started on the bullet list for the :pirate_flag: story, hopefully I can keep it going. But household stuff has come up, so that’s going to be something that needs to happen over the next three days.

Fortunately, I am not working today, so that helps.

The “needs” list:

• Fold and put away laundry
  • Sort through and properly organize yarn stash and other crafting supplies.
  • Determine the necessity of an IKEA run
  • Finish programming homework! Technically it’s due tomorrow at midnight but it’ll be a load off my mind!

The “really want” list:

• Duolingo
  • Two writing prompts (then I’m caught up to where I want to be!)
  • Finish bullet pointing sequence one for :pirate_flag:
  • Bullet point sequence two, thus finishing the first act plan
  • Reread relevant bits of naval tactic book

Stretch goals:

• Paragraph summaries for Acts Two and Three for the :pirate_flag:
  • Clean the other bathroom

… all of that’s much longer than usual.

Word count is currently 3357/7500 for the writing prompts. The additional 7500 words for the :pirate_flag: story is based off of starting tomorrow, so hopefully I’ll get where I need to be with that!

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been having problems with the new format, too. I appreciate a lot of what they’re trying to do, but a bunch of it hasn’t quite seemed to stick the landing. Glass half-full, though, it’s all still in beta, so hopefully they’ll work out some of the problems and make it better.

That being said, I hope you’ll stay with us. It does always brighten my day to see you around and talk to you!

1 Like

Checking in.

0/1k.
0/1 character design.
0/1 flash fiction.

It’s the weekend, at long last, and I’m hoping to make it pretty productive. I invited someone to hang out today, which will probably take some time out of my day, but I’d still like to finalize at least one of the two character designs I’m working on and make more progress on this fight scene. I’ve been really enjoying writing from Kira’s perspective, so hopefully I can do more of that.

Good luck today, everyone!

1 Like