Scrivener: Free during NaNoWriMo & 50% off for winners

I’m thrilled to share this special offer from long-time sponsor Scrivener!

~Heather

Hello Wrimos,

It’s NaNoWriMo time again—and once more, we at Literature & Latte would love to help you reach your 50,000 words by making it easy to use our writing app Scrivener throughout November.

Typewriter, ring-binder, scrapbook: Scrivener combines all the tools you need to craft your first draft, whether you’re using macOS, Windows or iOS.

We’re making a special, extended trial version available so that you can use the Mac and PC versions completely free from October 15th until December 7th—and if you do reach 50,000 words and decide you want to carry on using Scrivener, you can get the desktop app for half-price.

What is Scrivener?

Grow your manuscript organically, idea by idea: Tailor-made for long writing projects, Scrivener banishes page fright by allowing you to compose text in any order, and in sections as large or small as you like. Write and edit scenes individually, or step back and work on a whole chapter. Or step back further still and tackle the entire manuscript.

See the forest or the trees: Whether you’re a pantser or a plotter, Scrivener adapts to your way of writing: work out every last detail before typing a word, or hammer out a rough draft and restructure later. Or do a bit of both. Everything you write is integrated into an easy-to-use project outline and corkboard, so working with an overview of your manuscript is only ever a click away.

Research within reach: Your background material is always at hand: import research material into your project and open it right next to your work; write a description based on a photograph; take notes about a PDF file or web page. Or check for consistency by referencing character notes or an earlier chapter alongside the one you’re writing.

Getting it out there: Once you’re ready to share your work with the world, compile everything into a single document for printing, self-publishing, or exporting to numerous popular formats.

To find out more, visit our website: http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener/overview

Who Uses Scrivener?

Scrivener is used by writers of all stripes, including best-selling novelists, self-published authors, scriptwriters—and many WriMos. Best-selling novelist Michael Marshall Smith described it as “the biggest software advance for writers since the word processor.”

Our Offer

Scrivener normally costs $45, but all NaNoWriMo winners will be able to buy Scrivener at half price. You can use this offer on either the regular desktop* Mac or Windows version—or on both, if you buy both at the same time. To claim your 50% discount, simply visit your NaNoWriMo winner’s goodies page at the end of the event.

• Unfortunately the App Store doesn’t support discount coupons, so sadly we are unable to offer our iOS version as a prize.

There’s no pressure, though—if you don’t meet the target, you can still get 20% off Scrivener using the code NANOWRIMO at our web store through November: www.getscrivener.com

What About Scapple?

Scrivener’s sister app Scapple, our easy-to-use tool for getting ideas down and making connections between them, is also included in the offer. Simply enter the NANOWRIMO code for a 20% discount, or add it to your basket when redeeming your winner’s code to get 50% off the regular price.

Get Writing: Download the NaNo Trial

Scrivener’s NaNoWriMo trial is the same as the trial version on our site—except that it will run from October 15th until December 7th, 2018. This gives you time to prepare before November starts and to export your work once the month is through—not to mention all that frenzied keyboard bashing in between. Oh, and the extended trial will work even if you have tried—and used up—the trial time on Scrivener in the past.

Download the trial version for macOS and Windows here:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/nanowrimo

The trial contains a special “Novel (NaNoWriMo)” project template (under the “Fiction” category when you select File > New Project…) that contains a few tips and is set up with a deadline of 30th November.

The Science Bit

• The Scrivener for Mac trial requires macOS 10.12 or above.
  • The Scrivener for Windows trial requires XP or above.

That’s It…

Please feel free to ask us any questions below.

Thanks for reading, and good luck with reaching your 50,000 words!

All the best,
Keith (Scrivener’s creator) and the L&L Team

10 Likes

I’ve been using scrivener this year to write a novel and it’s so nice to have everything all in one place. I need to make a new file for nano and start filling it up :smiley:

1 Like

YAY, I may have to get this finally. Tried once during a free trial but couldn’t get my head round it, but I think I’ll give it another go, if only so I can get my consistency sorted.

I do have one question, can you download it for the trial on more than one computer, as I have my main PC and my laptop that i use for write-ins etc.

You can use the Scrivener trial on multiple computers and, if you buy it, you can use your license to run it on multiple machines you own (provided they are on the same operating system).

Paul

1 Like

Awesome thank you.

Thank you again Scrivener!! I’ve marked my calendar so I can download the trial on the first day it’s available and use it throughout planning, drafting, and editing! I think it will be so helpful, my boyfriend loves it!

Does this mean that I can’t use my license to Scrivener on both a laptop running Windows 10 and on my Android tablet(s)?

They don’t have an android version. It’ll run fine on Windows. It means that if you buy a Windows license, you can’t use the same code on the Mac version. Licenses are platform-specific.

1 Like

There are currently 3 versions: Mac, Windows and iOS (iPhone/iPad) all of which are separate purchases.

Any hope for an Android version anytime soon? I’ve found myself writing more and more on my tablets and phone than on my laptop, so purchasing the Windows version would forestall at least 2/3 of my writing time.

It sounds like there will be one at some point, but I doubt it will be released any time soon.

I haven’t heard a whisper of a rumor on that one. Given the size of the development team and how long the iThing version took, I wouldn’t count on it being any time soon. I’m dreaming of it though, because I’d love to have it on my Chromebook.

1 Like

If that’s a higher end Chromebook you can install a real Linux on it and then install Scrivener through wine. :wink:
My former laptop was not a Chromebook but a mini-puter, having less memory than upper-end Chromebooks (it had 2G), and it run Scrivener without problems.

I do (and actually turned on that part of it) but… I don’t have the patience, tbh.

I’m dying for it to be available on Chromebook. I looked into downloading Linux and trying to run it that way, but I don’t want ruin my chromebook. It’s also a bit over my head. :woman_shrugging: Someday.

I used it to write for last year and loved it! Worth the purchase for my home computer.
I just used google docs when I was on my chromebook, which got a little buggy with bigger files.

There is a feature that will let you work with your projects on Android in a way. There’s a sync with external folder option that creates a folder where the RTF files containing your actual writing are available for editing. Sync that with your device and use any tool capable of opening and saving as RTF and you can edit on any Android device. There’s more information in the manual on how to use that feature. :slight_smile:

I used that feature before the iOS version was available to work on projects on my iPad. :slight_smile:

1 Like

WAIT SERIOUSLY

and you care because…

If you’d added ?! to the end it would have accepted it :slight_smile:

And, yes, seriously. I wrote a good chunk of my 2015 novel that way. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I used that too. Plaintext on iOS worked pretty well for the task and I wrote my first few NaNo novels that way.