Science Fiction

Hackers? Cloning? Bioethics? Space travel? Steampunk? Writers of science fiction, converse here!

4 Likes

@calamiteaa Hi! I used to write science fiction (now I write contemporary/realistic fiction), but my one science fiction book was based around people who live on Callisto, one of Jupiter’s moons, so I was able to make up a lot of stuff… Would that count as science fiction or fantasy?

@Birdie_Boo from what you’ve said, I’d say science fiction, but I suppose I don’t know enough to say for sure. How much does the story revolves around science and technology? If science and technology are core components to the story, as opposed to, say, magic, I’d say it’s science fiction. (Also, it could always be both!)

1 Like

@calamiteaa, well, the story doesn’t have much of a magical element except for a giant electrical dragon that forced everyone below-ground, but other than that, all the fictional plants, animals, etc. are based off of combinations of those that really exist. There is no technology aspect, but it’s high in science. (fun bit: there are special glowing rocks that, when put in a basin of water, and when you then wash your hair in that basin, the rocks bleach and dye your hair to their color, so all my characters had cool hair colors, like purple, yellow, green, red, blue, orange, etc. and that was my favorite part!)

4 Likes

Ooooh nice, that sounds so cool!

1 Like

@calamiteaa Thank you!!! :heart:

I write a mix of science fiction and fantasy, although my science fiction frequently has a dash of magic. I can’t seem to help myself.

3 Likes

Next NaNo is shaping up to be science fiction. There’s are poorly (or expertly) made synthetic humans that are automatically terraforming the planet - to the point regular people can’t survive there anymore. Slightly (extremely) apocalyptic.

2 Likes

Yay! SF and fantasy are my two primary genres, so it’s always nice to see what’s showing up in the categories. Last year’s November NaNo was fantasy, so this coming year’s will be SF. (I alternate.) I think I’m going to try to finish one of my previous projects, likely The Pack (which has elements of bioethics in the history, alien contact, interstellar travel and exploration, espionage and space pirates… all kinds of fun!).

2 Likes

This year’s story is going to be a SF story, specifically a first contact story… only the person who makes first contact with the alien is a teenage girl who’s a bit of a daydreamer, and the poor alien crashed into a duck pond! (And thinks that the ducks are laughing at him)

1 Like