Regional forums

Question: Will there be forums for our regions like on the old forum, or will regions be handled differently? I’m trying to avoid using Facebook for Nano ever, so the more stuff the main site can handle without resorting to that, the better.

4 Likes

There will be regions, but I don’t know what the final implementation will look like. They’ve been imported on the main preview site, so take a look under community there for a preview! They’re not done yet, though.

3 Likes

Yes, but do you know if the region will have a forum, or is there something like a group? If that’s not known yet, that’s okay. Just offering my feedback as a user who prefers to communicate with my local wrimoes on the site rather than taking it to the more personal social media.

2 Likes

I’m not sure. Whatever it is, there’s not any plan that I know of to incorporate social media into it.

1 Like

Sorry we keep misunderstanding each other. What I mean is, if there isn’t a mechanism to communicate easily on the site, people will take it to Facebook, and those of us who don’t want to use Facebook for that will be excluded from conversations. So I was wondering if there will be a region-specific forum like there was on the old site, that’s all.

2 Likes

My understanding from when the MLs were first told about the new site is that the regions will have their own dedicated discussion spaces on the site that is separate from the forums. I don’t know if that’s still the plan though.

2 Likes

I understand what you’re asking, I just don’t have the answers you’re hoping for. I assume this is in the plans, but I’m managing the forums. The regional forums won’t work the same as they did on the old site, but I don’t know much more beyond that.

3 Likes

Since this isn’t feedback for categories, I’m moving this to its own topic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the info, @Heather_Dudley and @CinnamonFridge :grinning:

2 Likes

I realize I’m hiking without a compass here, but as an ML, I need to know when I can prep the region for November. I post a lot of information for new and returning Wrimos and it takes time. I also want my calendar set up and complete by October at the latest.
I can’t be the only one with this concern. As @EmpressTheodora said, I don’t want to use FB for Nano.
My fear is I will be setting up a FB account for my region in October and that will make the NaNo website obsolete. I do not have time to post information in multiple places.

3 Likes

Tim mentioned something about hoping to have things in place by September.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for asking this question. I have been wondering about it myself.

Also, I have to say @Heather_Dudley , the search function worked well - I typed in “Regional forums” and this post was the first one shown!

That is awesome! I’m hoping that the recommendation features on new posts will also improve as the quality and variety of the posting here increases

1 Like

I totally agree on that one. The region I was ML for last year (I just moved) used to use Facebook for Events and general announcement and Discord for chats. The change to the events we’re very excited about because the basic Google embed wasn’t the greatest, but we would really need some sort of forum for users as a base. If it could be similar to Discourse, that would be even better!

1 Like

Ugh, I kind of want to shut down our regional Facebook. Everyone ignores the actual website and focuses on it, so I want to delete the distraction. LOL Yes, I like social media, but no, I also don’t have time to post the same information in 203929832 different places. So yeah, I’m really excited to see what’s in store for our regions!

4 Likes

I’d like to add my voice as well. Communication with our Wrimos is vital and the forums worked very well for our region. If HQ is leaning toward giving us a chat like in the camp site as our only communication outlet, I foresee a drop in participation as there would be too much scrolling for participants to keep up to date with one another and us. If there will be a change, please tell us as soon as feasible and let us try it out in advance.

1 Like

A chat-type regional wouldn’t work for example Finland (or Germany) at all! As we are using it not only for local communication for events and such but especially as a “language oasis”. Many of the forums have been duplicated in our forum as threads. We have threads for Reference Desk, Nanoisms, Writing 101, Dares, etc… Not nearly all of our participants are comfortable using English. To say nothing about local and language-specific issues.

2 Likes

I’m not sure where this chat idea is coming from. There has been nothing from HQ about only chat for regions

1 Like

I don’t think anyone thinks that a cabin-like chat has been announced. Rather, a bunch of us are a little panicky because we don’t see regional forums, and we liked the old regional forums and dislike the potential alternatives we can imagine (chats, social media, etc.)

1 Like

They aren’t doing either of those options and nothing they’ve said has suggested such

1 Like