Pulp Fiction

Raising my glass to a historically lonely and underrepresented realm of the Nano forums:

Pulp Fiction

To be honest, I have zero experience with this genre. What makes pulp fiction what it is?

Generally speaking it has become a fairly fluid genre that doesnt always fold neatly into a single category.

“The term originated from the magazines of the first half of the 20th century which were printed on cheap “pulp” paper and published fantastic, escapist fiction for the general entertainment of the mass audiences. The pulp fiction era provided a breeding ground for creative talent which would influence all forms of entertainment for decades to come. The hardboiled detective and science fiction genres were created by the freedom that the pulp fiction magazines provided.” (https://www.vintagelibrary.com/pulpfiction/)

It could be a dark western detective thriller, a gritty assassin romance action in space, a gratuitous love triangle in a dystopian world during the Jurassic period … you name it.

2 Likes

There is also the aspect that traditionally, pulp fiction writers were very prolific, writing (1-2 million words per year) and if one didn’t sell (and most didn’t), just moving onto the next one.

2 Likes

I need to get this mindset into my own writing, tbh :joy: The lack of :fox_face: given! I love it.