Prep-Sept-Ober

So what did you do for your 2019 Nano project today? Feeling pretty good about your story, or is it sucking your soul dry trying to combat a saggy middle (my usual nemesis)? Have any good epiphanies while walking the dog? Share here! I love planning a novel almost as much as the actual writing, and I want to hear from other planners.

5 Likes

Hmm, what did I do…, what did I do…? I guess I was trying to invent one name. That’s pretty much all.

2 Likes

Yesterday was the first of September so I sat down and made my prep game outline all official, which means I made a bujo page for it, ha. It’s just a list of all the stuff I want to do that builds up to a good working outline for my story.

Actual planning amounted to getting everything I knew about my story so far onto paper, which took most of the evening. Cavernous plot-holes
and entire sections of story missing abound. Today I’m going to try to do some brainstorming to try to fill in some of them.

1 Like

I was contemplating using the Save the Cat! Writes a Novel method to re-outline my first draft, only to realize that I have yet to complete said draft. So now I’m re-reading and trying to figure out where in my (original) outline I left off.

2 Likes

Shoot, names are hard. Sometimes they take forever to show up.

2 Likes

My nano project this year is the next part of my ongoing series so my planning has begun with just noting down the ongoing subplots and stuff that carries over from the previous part.

I’m also on vacation away from my pc so its back to good old fashioned pen and paper lol

2 Likes

Well, I got two names for this story without any hardness. But the third one…
Usually I have too many names because I go through Pinterest and then it ends up like “Oh, this sounds nice. And this is too pretty and wow, this is perfect for my story and…” So, I end up with a flood of names.

2 Likes

My prep for this year’s project starts with finishing the current novel draft I’m working on. lol

This year’s novel is #4 in my historical mystery series, but for the past couple months, I’ve been trying to complete a draft of #2. I want to get that done before October, so I can start outlining #4. I have about 8 scenes unwritten, and I feel like I’m rushing a bit to get them done, but this is obviously not a polished draft, so that’s fine. I just want to get it done so I can focus on #4!

All I have for #4 right now is a plot idea, a victim, and maybe a killer. I have a lot to work on, so the sooner I get to it, the better. But I’m excited about it! I’m really looking forward to getting it started!

3 Likes

adding images to the pinterest folder counts, right? :confounded:

5 Likes

Yesterday I realized that since my time travelers from the present are now in the 1980s, they’re stuck with 1980s technology :scream:, but since they’re in a position to do something about it, they’re going to. So today I brainstormed how they’re going to speed up the timeline of the digital revolution. Because 5 MB of storage is just not going to cut it.

5 Likes

whispers I’m doing exactly the same, right now. Shh, don’t tell anyone :wink:

3 Likes

ur secret is my secret maam

1 Like

Right now, I’m in Research Mode. I’m writing historical fiction with an actual historical figure as a main character, so I picked up a biography and also a book about the time period in general. Filling my outline with lots of little notes about the time and place to try and get things as accurate as possible while I write.

I love researching, even when I’m always left full of little nit-picky questions that I can’t find answers to.

3 Likes

I always get bored if I’m trying to do research.

2 Likes

I tend to research as i go when i write. I don’t really do blocks of research most of the time…

2 Likes

Researching tends to consume all of my time and attention for large blocks of time (because I enjoy it so much), so I have to try and do most of it before I write. Otherwise I’ll never get anything written because I’ll be so busy learning xD

3 Likes

You sound like me, down to the being left with nit-picky questions after reading. I LOVE researching the old-fashioned way, with big fat books I get to sit and take notes on. That reminds me I have to get started on this book for my own research!

2 Likes

I’ve never learned how to take notes :rofl: I never seem to know, what’s important and what is not.

3 Likes

Pinterest pictures are integral to planning, so of course!

3 Likes

I don’t mind research but I just know I’ll end up down a rabbit hole if I don’t stop myself xD

I’ve spent about 6 months in total for this series in planning stages, and then I fill in blanks as I go most of the time.

2 Likes