OA Reads: August (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

Now, to begin!

Week One (1st-7th) : Reading / discussing October (this time, specifically Jaye’s choices)
Week Two(8th-14th) : Reading / put up poll
Week three (15th-21st) : Reading / October’s book decided, go find/get book if desired.
Rest of the month : Finish reading by the 22nd, and discuss!

1 Like

I’m almost halfway through now, and turns out this book is actually sub-50k! Feels a bit funny to start with a book with a word count like that in specifically the OA book club but it seems like a good length for it to really have that spice. Definitely enjoying it so far, and it’s reminding me of a bunch of things that work so much better in writing than it does in visual mediums (which I’ve recently been glued to): Stuff like the drips of world building fun facts you get with the “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy writes…” passages (I’d honestly be ok with so much blatant exposition if all of it was delivered that way), or the two trippy passages that I don’t want to spoil. I hope there’s more of both!

October’s Decision

• Skulduggery Pleasant, by Derek Landy
  • I Am Not A Serial Killer, by Dan Wells

0 voters

I will be reading sequels to both of those (and I’ll try to read both sequels anyway!) but I can generally say both of those are fun and Halloween-y. I think I Am Not A Serial Killer is the overall more well written work, while Skulduggery Pleasant is the more Halloween-y one (I mean, the titular character is a literal skeleton). Whichever you pick, I’ll discuss with you guys from memory while reading the sequels! If I’m not reading the sequels please punch me.

readies punching hand

Well that was one sided

Indeed. I know I voted for that one because that’s the one I picked up at the bookstore a week ago, but I wasn’t expecting such a landslide.

I’m not mad though. I Am Not A Serial Killer is a great read, and if everyone agrees on what to read that’s more convenient too.
On another note, I’m almost done reading Hitchhiker’s, but I’ve been super busy because convention. And, well, when I do have free time, I end up wasting it on mindless nonsense…