NaNo OA Reads: Set up

As spoken of in the OA chat, we shall now commence our book club in this place. What we decide to read will be decided at a future date, and we might not all read the same things, but all rest assured we will do this in our regular overachieving way!

1 Like

Ooh, fun! I’m bad at chat, so missed the previous discussion, but I like book clubs, so will keep an eye on this!

1 Like

I made a channel on it specifically for it, so even if you just want to poke in and just read things there without interjecting there, you are very welcome.

For those who still haven’t joined the OA Discord, here is the invite again: https://discord.gg/2yfnP4b

1 Like

Don’t be fooled, this thread only exists because I brought up the idea of people forcing me to read some of my Halloween reading this Halloween : P

3 Likes

Yesss, here we go! I need motivation to finish more books :smiley:

3 Likes

For those who want to read books together, I was thinking that we can gather ideas and people can look up to see which one they are most interested in. Then I could make a poll and everyone who wants to do a group read can vote for the next one to do.

What do you all think?

1 Like

Sounds good to me!

(removed the quote again, ugh – I don’t know what I’m doing wrong!)

It does that when you quote the entire post directly above yours. :slight_smile:

You should have a PM from the @system user telling you it removed the quote and why :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm… Nope, no PMs. So thanks for letting me know! I guess that makes sense since people can probably follow the discussion without the quote if it’s the last one.

That is weird that it didn’t send the message. FYI though it always creates an entry in the edit history. If you click that pencil icon at the top right of the post with the number by it you can view the edit history. The system edit will show up there as well and show the edit reason.

1 Like

We have decided in chat that September is Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. As lots of people are gearing up to read it anyway. So everyone get ready for that!

3 Likes

Oooh, I’m so in for this! GO has been on my (ridiculous) TBR forever!! :books:

2 Likes

Figuring out the selection we will choose from for August. So far this is what people have suggested:

Another Fine Myth, by Robert Lynn Asprin
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams
Howl's Moving Castle, by Diana Wynne Jones
Rebel of the Sands, by Alwyn Hamilton

If anyone else has any suggestions, be sure to hit me with it! If not, I’ll set the poll up with these ones soon. Figuring out the best poll to use.

1 Like

What should those of us who won’t be reading with the group do? How do “choose your own book” clubs work anyway?

1 Like

You just say what you are reading (optional: when you want to be done with it by, for pushes) and general thoughts on the topic! You may convince someone else to pick up what you are reading, or save us from something that wouldn’t really interest us. :slight_smile:

I wish there was a way to make a poll so that we could number them from first choice all the way to last choice, rather than this, but this is what we have. You can vote up to two books for August. I promise I will read whichever book with whichever wins the poll. Of course not everyone has to, but I will.

• Another Fine Myth, by Robert Lynn Asprin
  • Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams
  • Howl’s Moving Castle, by Diana Wynne Jones
  • Rebel of the Sands, by Alwyn Hamilton

0 voters

I’m super excited already :smiley:

I’m giving this until Sunday, when I will close the poll. That will give everyone a week and a half to get the book if they want to read it.

In the future, that’s what I’m thinking of doing with this. One week of coming up with options, one week to vote, then the rest of the month for people to get a copy of the book.

2 Likes

The winner is Hitchhiker’s Guide! Everyone make sure you have (or find, in my case) a copy for next month!

2 Likes

Oh, I’m surprised it actually ended up winning. I’ll ask my dad so I can borrow his then! Gonna be reading the German translation, maybe it’ll help my writing since I write German.

2 Likes