Master Chefs - for the at home cooks among us

I’m an avid at-home cook, always rummaging through my cookbooks, pinterest, and other forums and groups for new dinner ideas. I’d love to see what else is out there so share your recipes, meal plans, menus, and pictures!!

I have been building my personal menu and so far it includes:

Cajun Shrimp Boil
Chicken Tinga Street Tacos
Homemade Chipotle Bar - build your own burrito/bowls!
Pasta Primavera with a lemony garlic parmsan sauce
Greek Cucumber/Tomato/Feta Salad
Shrimp Carbonara
5-alarm Chili
German Bratwurst w/roasted potatoes, brown-butter onions, and asparagus
Braised Brisket Bourguignon
Cheesy Jalapeno Meatballs
Copycat Whataburger Sausage, Egg & Cheese Taquitos
Copycat Olive Garden Zupa Toscana
Coq au Vin
Enchiladas - Sour Cream and Chicken, Spinach and Mushroom, and Cheese w/Ranchero sauce
Scallop potatoes with broiled goat cheese and tomatoes
Tomato Basil Bisque
Chicken Kao Soi - yellow curry Thai soup
German Apple Dumplings
Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie

— and of course the staple faves —

Spaghetti Bolognese
Meatloaf
Chicken Noodle Soup
Creamy Mashed Potatoes with brown mushroom gravy
Cheesy Chicken Casserole
Cinnamon French Toast

6 Likes

I was a trained chef before I left to do social work. If I can answer questions, I am happy to!

For now, I will share this Chili Garlic Sauce recipe, perfect for stirfry’s! (The level of spice scales very well, so you can make it barely warm by not adding siracha at all, to very spicy by adding a bunch)

2 Likes

I am a home cook and baker. I mostly like cooking just for me and people I like. My go-to dish that people always want the recipe for is my Potato Soup (more of a chowder, really). However…I just throw stuff into a pot and it tastes good!

I’m the worst kind of cook. :joy:

3 Likes

Might I suggest that you lovely people try your hand at a few of my personal favourites?

-Cornish Pasties (the beef variety is what I use, but I’m sure it’s delicious with anything)
-Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
-Wild Rice Burgers

My husband gets so upset when I make new food but didn’t follow the recipe/don’t take notes. :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I’m almost always cooking “off my head” (hmmm. the stupid Finnish pun that makes that sound you’re using the head as ingredient does not translate well). Typically read from the cookbook or package label the general thing (how long you need to soak and boil this type of beans), and take ideas for spicing…

In most cases getting something edible as a result.

4 Likes

I wish I could call myself a MASTER chef. I like cooking a lot, it’s just that I use the same recepies all the time…I make chicken with sweet and sour sauce, I make chicken with a sauce I make using soy sauce, teriyaki and others. I also make a mean spaghetti bolognese. I should expand, though, it’s just… These are so easy to make.

1 Like

I love cooking, and I’m not too bad at it. I especially like making risotto from scratch.

Ingredients

1 litre chicken stock
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
250g arborio rice
250g cherry tomatoes, halved
150g shredded roast chicken

1. Place the stock and tomato paste in a small saucepan, whisk to combine, then simmer
  2. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the garlic
  3. Add the rice and stir for 1 minute to coat the grains of rice in the oil and garlic
  4. Add the stock to the rice one ladle at a time, stirring occasionally and waiting for all of the stock to be absorbed before adding the next ladle
  5. Stir in the chicken and cherry tomatoes

Serves 4

3 Likes

My chicken recipe:
About one kg of chicken drumsticks or leg quarters (hope I got these English parts right).

Marinade:
juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon or lime
1-2 tbsp of honey
2-3 garlic cloves (crushed or minced)
a thumb size clump of fresh ginger, minced
a tsp of ground cilantro seeds
a tsp of ground cummin (jeera)
a tsp of turmeric
a tsp of salt
a tsp of ground black pepper
1/2 dl (or thereabouts) of cilantro leaves.
a little chilipowder.

Mix the ingredients of marinade. Make some cuts into the chicken. Put everything in an oven bowl, rub the marinade into legs and let stand for a couple of hours, maybe turning around every now and then, if you remember.

Oven 150 centigrades. Cook covered for about two hours.
Long time but little work. Serve rice,pasta or the like and some fresh greens in addition.

3 Likes

I get in the mood every now and again to try some experiment. Mostly though, if I do cook from scratch, I follow the simplest and quickest recipes. I make a lot of baked bread.
I recently discovered making cookies with a cake box. (1box mix, 1/3 oil, 2eggs, 1cup chocolate chips/white chocolate/long sprinkles, etc. and that’s it.) I may not go back to making cookies from scratch again!

Also, does anyone have a good pan fried fish recipe for kids and adults?

3 Likes

I 99% of the time will look for a recipe, and then completely disregard it :rofl:

3 Likes

I have an easy cookie recipe too!

• A flavored cake mix (Strawberry or Lemon are my favorites)
  • tub of Cool Whip (8 ounces) (or Whipped Topping —tubs are usually found in the freezer area near pies, if they’re not a staple item for you).
  • 2 eggs.

Combine, spoon into little piles, bake for 8-10 minutes at 350(F)/175© or until the edges are just starting to turn brown. You can dust them with powdered sugar afterwards if you like, but I don’t care for it myself.

My grandmother found them originally in some cooking magazine and they’ve become a favorite of mine. They are so soft and fluffy and delicious. :yum: Here’s a recipe from AllRecipe, you want pictures.

4 Likes

Mine is for salmon or trout fillets.
Pour a little oil on the pan, heat and put the fillets with skin side up.
Fry for a moment (so it gets some colour) and turn.
Spice with green pepper (piper, not chili), rosé pepper, salt and possibly dill.
Add a little water on the pan cover and let simmer.
Simple and good. I usually serve this with mashed potatoes and cooked broccoli.

2 Likes

I generally look up five recipes on the internet and then cook something as “inspired by” them as my fanfiction tends to be to the source material. (in which I start off with Harry Potter, and then he goes off to do something completely random like taking a trip to Antarctica to go back in time and stop Fenrir Greyback from making himself a god. For some reason.)

Also, I put ginger in everything. I’ve yet to find anything that can’t benefit from the addition of ginger.

4 Likes

My mom’s a cook, so all I’ve learned about cooking is from her. By that I mean, forget the recipes and make everything ”off the head”. The difference between us though is that I like to experiment with all sort of spices, and since I live alone, I can and will use odd spices to everything I make. Results haven’t been yet horrific, everythin has been edible.

My favorite is sweet and sour chicken which most of the time manages to surprise even me how good it turns out. I also make excellent pizza. And pasta bolognese. That I especially liked to feed to a friend of mine, but she’s gone and turned vegetarian now. I have to admit the vegetarian version I have made few times out of oat hasn’t been that good.

I miss cooking though, my current living arrangement is a weird one and the ”kitchen” here consist stove I am afraid to use. I don’t know from what era it is, but it’s old and scary, and I am not a friend.

4 Likes

I’ll share what I made last night. I call it Tater Meat.

6 fist-sized Yukon Gold potatoes (7 if you have small hands)
1 carrot
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 yellow onion
1 pound ground beef
1/2 pound ground sausage
1 cup grated or shredded Cheddar cheese
1 TBSP Italian seasoning (Optional)

Preheat oven to 450. Set rack to top level.

Wash and dry the potatoes and carrot. Use a peeler to cut any eyes or blemishes from the potatoes, but otherwise leave the skin intact.

Dice potatoes into roughly 3/4" cubes.

Toss potatoes on baking sheet with a drizzle of oil, salt, and pepper. I also use a sprinkle of Italian seasoning.

Put potatoes on top rack and bake for about 30 minutes.

Use the peeler to make carrot ribbons. Peel the carrot lengthwise, turn the carrot a bit, then peel again. Stop when you get to the carrot’s core.

Peel and halve onion, then slice finely. Peel and smash garlic. Slice the pulp finely.

Heat a drizzle of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook and frequently stir until tender, 2-3 minutes.

Add sausage and ground beef. Chop it into small chunks. Cook until well browned throughout.

Add carrot ribbons. Cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.

When the potatoes are done, move them to a casserole dish. Top with grated or shredded cheese. Pile in the meat, and toss with a large spoon. (Careful–it’s hot!)

Top with more cheese if you want, then put it back in the oven for 5 more minutes.

Let cool for a few minutes after removing from oven. Enjoy!

(Cooking times and temps will vary depending on elevation, oven type, and cookware used, so keep an eye on everything.)

ETA: We have leftovers, so I’m going to try reheating them in the oven, then mixing them into some scrambled eggs with chunks of bacon and peppers.

ETA2: Tried the egg thing. Tasted good, but it was an ugly, ugly plate.

4 Likes

Last night I made tomato basil soup that I’ve been craving for WEEKS! I didnt have time to eat before bed but brought a big thermos to work today. I’m excited lol.

3 Likes

I love baking and cooking, but I’m also a uni student with not much time or money, so I very rarely get the time to cook from scratch :pensive: However, I have still managed to build up a collection of created recipes for all different types of sponge cakes, biscuits and more!

My friend is also a great cook, so I usually go round to her’s and we cook. We actually created a recipe for what we called “Japanese-ish fried chicken”, which I actually went on to cook for my flatmates in my first year of uni! The plan is to try and cook more from scratch in the upcoming second year; too many take-outs while I was really quite ill means I have a little bit of chub to lose!

If anyone has any good recipes for someone with taste sensitivities (ASD means I’m super prone to sensory meltdowns from anything too powerful in taste :persevere: ), do let me know!!

1 Like

Due to our big deep freeze being turned off (Mom blames cats…I blame my brother’s girlfriend…but I digress!), we’ve had to figure out how to cook up a large amount of ground meat (venison and beef), two turkeys, and a ham. (Sorry vegetarians and vegans; this one isn’t for you…)

Sooooo…I made a small meatloaf, among other things for dinner. I just throw stuff in a brown, so Everything to taste, but a general recipe:

*1 lbs hamburger
*1 egg
*a handful-ish of Crispex cereal (this is a knock off Chex, but you could use whatever you want; it’s what I had handy)
*A long squirt of yellow mustard
*To taste: garlic power, onion powder, salt, black pepper, and red pepper.

Combine in a bowl, then shape into a loaf. I used an 8x8 square pan and fit the loaf into the center leaving the sides open. Baked for…idk, maybe 20 minutes at 350(f). Removed from oven and mixed in a small bowl:

*Honey BBQ sauce
*Ketchup
*Mustard Powder
*Orange Marmalade; we have a bunch of those little tiny jars; it was about half of one of those…

Mix, then pour or brush onto the top of the meatloaf, which then is returned to the oven for another…10-15 minutes? Use a thermometer for done judgement. Your oven might be different from mine!

Served w/ mashed potatoes and an Bistro au Jus gravy…because that is what was in the pantry. :woman_shrugging:

It actually tasted pretty good, but I’m not overly picky. The Honey and marmalade gave a little sweetness.

I also made a cheesy rice casserole that I forgot to add the ground meat to. :roll_eyes: Oh well. Didn’f Try that one yet though.

1 Like

I’m basically the de-facto cook in my house, doing main dishes (mostly casseroles and soups) while my wife does salads/vegetables and desserts.

I don’t have access to my recipes right now (I’m at work), but if anyone’s interested, I can post about some of my original recipes:

• Deconstructed Lasagna (I call it “Baked Italian”)
  • Mexican Meatloaf
  • Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo Pasta
  • Pork Chop and Potato Casserole

My wife also makes homemade ice cream and I’m trying to get her to write down her recipes and refine them into a repeatable formula so that I can eventually publish a small ice cream cookbook for them. At the very least, aging a container of Mexican vanilla extract in a garage for 20 years is a MUST HAVE. :100:
Some interesting flavors we’ve made:

• White Chocolate Blackberry
  • S’mores
  • Cotton Candy
  • Rhubarb Sorbet
  • Mint Brownie
2 Likes