Lord of the Rings

From The Hobbit to the trilogy, there’s plenty of things in the universe to talk about. So let’s get cracking, cause we might be here awhile. :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve read the Hobbit all the way and halfway through the third book of the trilogy, but it’s been a few years since I’ve read any of them. Will that be a problem for me, or can I still participate?

1 Like

You can still participate, there just might be an accidental spoiler. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Well, I have watched the LOTR movies too, so…I don’t think there will be many spoilers for me. :wink:

I’ve only watched the movies for the first time a few days ago, and they were quite a bit different than the books. Or… the Hobbit ones at least, the trilogy was impressively accurate.

1 Like

Yeah, I haven’t heard good things about the Hobbit movies, and I really have no inclination to watch them because of what I’ve heard, such as Legolas being in the movie(s). There were elves, I know that, but none of them identify as Legolas as far as I know. Also, I don’t see why they had to make 3 movies for one book.

In terms of LOTR, I’ve heard it was pretty accurate to the books (much better than some other movies I can name). It didn’t have some characters, such as Tom Bombadil, but that’s probably because of time constraints (I personally found the part of the book with him in it to be quite boring, but that could just be me).

And in the Hobbit movies, there were girls. Like… O.o Where did y’all find girls in the book? Not every character has to have a date.

I feel like Tom was important to the plot, but they covered his absence fairly well. Although what bugged me about the movies was that there wasn’t really much you saw of Faramir/Èowyn.

1 Like

I haven’t seen the movies, so I can’t speak to whether that’s accurate or not. :stuck_out_tongue: But I do still agree with the statement; not everyone has to be married and whatnot, and some people simply aren’t in a romantic relationship with someone else and sometimes never will.

Tom was quite forgettable for me, so I don’t quite remember what his role was in the story. After a few chapters with him, I think I may have simply skipped it and/or stopped reading for a little while before going back to the book.

Ah. My sister’s favorite couple was Faramir and Eowyn, if I’m remembering correctly, and was sad they weren’t shown very much in the movies. The extended version of the trilogy may have scenes that weren’t shown in the original, such as the gifts from Galadriel when the Fellowship leaves the elven city of Lothlorien (and explains them in more detail than the original did), but I don’t know if the extended version includes any more of Faramir and Eowyn.

Just dropping in to say Lee Pace as Thranduil in the Hobbit movies is the only reason I ever rewatch those movies. Or, his parts, anyway. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I really enjoyed the competition Legolas and Gimli had during several scenes in LOTR. Had quite a few laughs. :smiley:

And then one of the final scenes…
“Never thought I’d die fighting side by side with an elf.”
“What about side by side with a friend?”
“Aye, I could do that.”

2 Likes

Something to consider with Middle-Earth: orcs and goblins tend to live in caves and various underground areas, just like dwarves. Gundabad is a great example of a heavily contested area between dwarves and orcs. Now, keep in mind, these conflicts happen underground, where the other races can’t see what’s going on. So how many times have the dwarves saved Middle-Earth during those conflicts and no one else knows about it because there were no other races to witness it?

1 Like

That’s a very good point. Even if the elves or men did know about these conflicts, the hobbits of the Shire likely wouldn’t know about it. The books state that they know basically nothing about the outside world, living in an isolated part of the world, and one of the only forms of communication with the outside world is through Gandalf and other travelers, and most hobbits don’t care when they do learn of things on the outside.

Yep. The most interaction any hobbit really had with other races was in Bree, and their weren’t as many hobbits there as the Shire.

1 Like

They have a couple scenes together.

Really the extended cut is distracting because suddenly the CGI vanishes. Or an agonizingly long scene is longer. They put old man willow in Fangorn. It’s weird.

1 Like

I’ve never seen the extended version, so I can’t really argue with that. All I can do is take your word for it at this moment in time.

Forgive me for asking, but where is Fangorn? Sorry, it’s been awhile since I’ve seen the movies.

Fangorn is elvish for Treebeard. The forest is named for that Ent. And he saves them from Willow instead of Tom.

Part of what annoys me is that I don’t think Treebeard would stand for Willow’s additude.

1 Like

Huh. The only place I know of with Ents is when they flood Saruman’s tower when they learn he’s been cutting down the forest. But of course, probably more in the books than in the movies that I’m not remembering.

What is your favorite character in LOTR? It’s hard to choose a favorite from all of the characters in LOTR, because of how good the movies are, but my absolute favorite would probably be Samwise Gamgee, for his loyalty to Frodo, through all the trials they had to go through. There were many opportunities for him to leave and go back to the Shire (even one time where Frodo told him to go back), but he stayed by Frodo, stayed in the midst of danger to be with his friend, and I wish I had the strength to do that with my own friends. If the time ever came to pass, I don’t know whether I would stay by them, and even suggesting that makes me feel bad.

1 Like

I don’t know who my favorite character would be, but my favorite characters were Legolas and Gimli. I loved how they were able to put aside their differences to protect their world and Frodo, and the relationship they developed along the way. They rounded each other out expertly. And I loved how, in spite of all the evil and pain and violence around them, they could still quarrel playfully and do their little game. For me, as the reader of the story who was hopelessly entangled and couldn’t back out, they were the light in the darkness, almost laughing at death, and that was encouraging.

Had Tolkien not included them, I think it would’ve been a truly dark and depressing story.

1 Like

I am excited for the TV series that is coming.

1 Like