Just wondering what people have been up to in the post-2018 NaNo season

I’ve been avoiding writing/editing my novels in the space around NaNo, in part because I am a bit editing-phobic and in a larger part because I’m very busy with my day job. But it’s not entirely the latter because each year (this one is no exception), I’m involved in my writing group’s annual anthology.
What are others doing?

2 Likes

@NewMexicoKid Hey, another editing-phobic person! I’ve been trying to get back into editing, but I keep getting overwhelmed by the big decisions to make about my novel, and as someone who has trouble making decisions to start with, the result isn’t pretty.

Since my old job transitioned into a contract position at the start of 2019, I spent the first couple of months looking for a new job, dabbling in some data science, and generally recovering from the great burnout of 2018. I had some additional freelance work and sizable savings, so there wasn’t a rush to take the very first thing available. Fortunately I started a new job in technical writing in March that gave me a substantial raise and better benefits than my last job plus a walking commute. (Though still a little short to justify a run commute like I did to my last job.)

I’ve hardly written at all, believe it or not. I’ve kept up the freelance work (~10 hours a week) on top of the regular job, which keeps me busy on its own. But writing fiction barely finds its way to the front of my mind, and I’m not sure how to feel about that.

Also, I was in Chicago a couple of weeks ago! I should have let you know so we could meet up.

2 Likes

I’ve actually been slowly revising my 2018 novel, but there was a massive pause in that work in April and May because that’s my busy season at work.

I need to get a new job in part because of the really long busy season (most jobs have busy periods shorter than two months) but also for health, be safety, and they don’t pay me enough. My supervisor was fired on Friday (not entirely surprised) but even though he’ll be replaced it’s going to create a lot more work for me that I know I won’t be compensated for.

Oh, and I officially joined the PC Master Race in February. If I still used Word for novel writing I could probably open a 50k document without lag.

2 Likes

I published two books! That is the highlight of everything post-2018 NaNo. Made me feel really accomplished. Trying to keep up with that level of productivity has been hard though.

I also have been having some work issues which have me looking for a new place of employment. Someplace where I am treated like an adult and not a five year old. I know I act childish online, but I do do my best to be an adult through my meaty self! You don’t treat someone who is doing their job well (and I’ve been told this, so I know it’s not just me) like an idiot.

Other than that? Writing. Always writing. (Wishing I was editing, because that would mean the first drafts were done.)

6 Likes

Mostly I’ve been busy with the new job. I became a rural library Director at the end of October. I’m still learning the ropes and doing my state certification classes for it. Not a whole heck of a lot of anything else. I had a pretty decent fail at April Camp. But, I expected it (Camp doesn’t seem to work out for me…). Too busy for it in July with Summer Reading events all month long.

3 Likes

I got all of my 2018 nano novel typed up during April!

2 Likes

Writing wise, I finished my NaNo novel in February. (I reached 50k, but the story wasn’t done, and over the years I have learned that if I don’t finish a draft in one go, I will never finish it at all.) Then I started the second draft of a novel I wrote last summer. I’m really proud of it. I finished that a few weeks ago and haven’t done much since because I’m going to do a short story a day for Camp. After that, not sure what I’m going to work on next. i’m moving into a new apartment in July so my whole brain is kind of consumed with that right now.

2 Likes

Studying, mostly. I haven’t been able to find work in the field I actually have my degree in, Communication (which also covers librarianship, which is what I majored in at uni), so I decided to switch to Community Services instead. It’s been two years since graduation so hopefully I can find a job soon.

2 Likes

In regards to writing, I had to take a break for a bit around December-January because of technical issues, and since then I’ve just been bouncing around projects. Planning, writing, editing… whatever needs to be done that day.

I spent the last few weeks editing one of the novels I wrote last year, and now it’s hanging out with my alpha reader. Recently I’ve been focusing on planning, but I’ll get back into actually writing my current project when camp begins tomorrow.

Luckily for me, I don’t have a whole lot going on until I go back to school the last week in August, which means I’m spending most of my time writing right now. I’m hoping to finish three projects this summer (an episodic story, a novella, and a novel), but we’ll see what I actually get around to.

2 Likes

Too busy with life matters and bogged down by depression to write. I’ve barely even roleplayed, which is something I used to do almost daily.

Gender transitioning is not easy. Depression is not easy. Working a terrible job where management shows zero appreciation is not easy. I’m at my breaking point. I can’t wait to get back into a more positive upswing where I won’t be too exhausted for writing. I’m working on it, though!

4 Likes

Let’s see…I got two different jobs (one was a temp, one was a temp that became a full time! I am an associate at the university bookstore), I sold my house, getting my website going on, and getting married. So this cool 180 on my whole life!

2 Likes

@yuuen {{Hugs!}}}

Just because.

2 Likes

Yay! Congratulations! Sorry I didn’t see this until now.

2 Likes

Thank you! It’s a gratifying feeling to be sure. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been quite happy with going back to fanfiction and enjoying even more of it, than I did before. So I’ve been writing many many short stories.

1 Like

I too am scared of editing :joy: I’ve been trying to for camp but more often than not, I end up procrastinating by working on a side project. Rip my WIP!

4 Likes

I’ve unfortunately have had severe writer’s block for a year or two, so I haven’t really written much of anything. Also, I’m trying to find my very first job at the moment and doing college work for the past few years, so I likely wouldn’t have much time to write, either. I’ve been trying to get my motivation back for writing this year, but no luck so far. Hopefully once I’m out of school in a year and graduate, I can get back to writing like I used to when I started almost 6-7 years ago.

I have not looked at my Nano 2018 novel since the end of November, but there is a reason for that! I am a linear writer and I tried something different for November. I had not finished writing Book 2 in my series, but I wanted to keep my streak (using Nano to write each new book in the series) alive, so I pushed forward with Book 3 even though Book 2 was not quite finished (it’s close). After Nano, I went back to finishing writing Book 2 and editing Book 1.

Other than that, I wrote fanfiction stories (Yu Yu Hakusho in April and Blue Exorcist this month) for Camp Nano sessions. I also have been doing my grad classes and applying for jobs. Still writing my stories, but at a much slower pace.

I’ve been doing absolutely no writing!! Which is terrible, of course, it needs to be a more consistent habit for me, but I just haven’t been doing it. But I’ve been doing lots of reading (thanks to my local library’s adult summer reading program), some new videogames that have been fanning the conworlding flames, and gotten involved in a big game modding project. So I haven’t been entirely without creative exposure.

Well, spent the first 3.5 months of this year as a first-year tax pro. I took the class before NaNo last year and now I’m an actual tax pro. Spending part of the summer working on classes to build up to level two. Plus doing writing and getting paid for taking care of my boyfriend. Taking care of the boyfriend is easy. It’s all stuff I’ve been doing for the last three years but now I’m getting paid to do it. Makes it a little bit easier.
Been working primarily on building the sci-fi/fantasy epic that I started almost ten years ago.