I guess it’s better than 3 am?

Yesterday at 5 pm-ish:

My brain: YOU SHOULD GO WRITE!
Me: Yes you’re right. What should we work on? begins to rattle off current stories
My brain: NO! SOMETHING NEW!
Me: Okay, where do I start?
My brain: …
Me: Just get back to me when you have something.

This morning at 5 am-ish:

My brain: I HAVE IT! THE STORY IDEA!
Me: … yay. Couldn’t have waited 45 minutes until my alarm went off, hmm?

11 Likes

Ain’t that always the way?

I’ve found that I can coerce Mr. Brain to shut up for a while if I threaten to work on the boring parts of all the stories before I start something new.

1 Like

I keep getting really great writing ideas at 12:30am!! I’m thinking it may have something to do with being so tired I forget my fears of failure. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Of course, you can’t always trust Mr. Brain at 5-ish o’clock.

Night before last, I got tangled in the blanket, so I woke up enough to flip over. Then a lightning bolt went through my shoulder. I hollered (the Beloved woke up and said, “Huhhnn?”), and I would spend all day yesterday practically immobile, fighting some sort of painful infection between my shoulderblade and my spine.

Mr. Brain, though, that rascal, he wanted me to write a story about people who lose their language, who, while they understand everything, can only respond in Middle Zombie. Not just a few people, mind you, but a planet-wide Middle Zombie apocalypse.

I eventually got back to sleep.

1 Like

I had one character whose main communication with me was yelling. At 2am. It didn’t help me get off to sleep.
I have had a few ideas that have said hello in the middle of the night, but when I’ve woken up, a lot of them have made precisely zero sense.

Fun fact: The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde was the result of a dream that Robert Louis Stevenson had. However, right in the middle of the dream, Mrs Stevenson thought that Robert Louis was having a nightmare and woke him up!

2 Likes

I am trying to train someone for a writing competition, but I’m finding that they keep texting me at all the earliest hours of the morning for advice, because that’s when they have ideas. XD

Mine usually come right as I’m trying to go to sleep.

2 Likes

Yip, been there, done that. This is why I write before I go to sleep and I keep remembering the little ideas that I have before I go to sleep.

Downside, I only write one project at a time so I have to be quick before I lose the idea.