Good writing binge soundtracks (instrumental)

I’ve been trying to find some good background music for working to; I had been listening to the Deep Working station on Prime and that was okay but I didn’t like all of the tracks so had to keep stopping to skip them; but I’ve found three soundtracks that work brilliantly (for me) in acting as background music that doesn’t block the writing:
The Awakening by Daniel Pemberton
The Haunting of Hill House by the Newton Brothers
The Village by James Newton Howard
All of these are great so if you like instrumental soundtracks I recommend giving them a go.

1 Like

I’ve found that the instrumental soundtracks that have a driving sound to them generally keep me writing.
Quite a few by Hans Zimmer work well for me (Interstellar and The Dark Knight for examples), as well as the soundtrack for Atonement (mostly due to that typewriter background effect).

1 Like

Soundtracks from The Hobbit and the LotR movies are great background music.

2 Likes

I love film soundtracks but don’t often write to them. I end up visualizing the movie they’re from and it gets too distracting. I listen to them for enjoyment but not while writing.

1 Like

Star Trek 2009 is a great one to write or work to. I also like Dave Brubeck’s jazz for that too. Also classical… but I digress.

2 Likes

One of my favourites is Rise of the Guardians by Alexandre Desplat

1 Like

I’ve been using the Relaxing Film Scores playlist on Google Play Music for a couple of years now. It’s sort of the one I have in the background when I have to work on something where I want music, but I can’t have lyrics otherwise my focus will be gone.

It’s been working for me so far.

2 Likes

I love Ori and the Blind Forest OST the music ia epic and varied, which I like. Night of the Rabbit ost is also quite relaxing and has an unusual sound (although I don’t like all of those.)

I’m a bit so-so on the orchestral instrumental OSTs, but I stumbled across OC Remix several years ago and some of the orchestral remix albums of classic (and non classic) games have been phenomenal. (I still ADORE the FFIV and FFVI albums, but the Secret of Mana and Tales of Phantasia albums have been amazing too. There’s a pretty wide variety of stuff to suit most tastes!)

1 Like