We all love fanfiction (why else would you be reading this forum, right?), but we love it for various reasons. There are a lot of tropes, story elements, recurring methods of writing that are too rarely if ever seen outside the medium of fanfic. So I thought it would be fun to share our favourite things about/in fanfics.
I’ll start with a few of mine.
Scenes from a different POV. Something I’ve never seen outside of fanfics is taking the same scene and showing it from different POVs. It can be so interesting to see how various characters react to the same events or conversation. Often with all the delicious emotional torture as a result. I just love getting in character’s heads and this is just like catnip to me.
The way a lot of fanfiction is far more character focussed. A good plot is fine, but get me into that character’s head and I can and will read pages upon pages of the quiet moments in-between.
Some of my favourite fanfic tropes:
- The this character is almost going to die and their friends, family, and/or significant other is very much nooo don’t die. And then they don’t. Extra fun if the almost dying was because of protecting said important person.
- The fake married trope. Added points of being forced to share a bed. Double added points if they are mutually pining while sharing said bed.
- Annoyance/rivalry to lovers, preferably with much bickering.
- Combining those two. Arranged marriage with one or more unwilling participants who grow to love each other. Preferably with much mutual pining first.
- Mutual pining in general really. So much mutual pining.
- Angst with a happy ending. For me the happy ending payoff is important, but until that happens: ALL the angst.
- Hurt/comfort. Same deal.
- The “that’s my significant other. Aren’t they great?” kind of partner/spouse.
- OCs. Yes, I like a good original character. I especially like stories taken from “the sidelines”, characters. Or examinations of what would change in the plot if there was just one difference in there and original characters work great for that. Heck I even enjoy a good Reader fic now and again. They are like popcorn for the brain, especially on bad days.
That’s all I can think off right now. I know there is more, but it’s late. I’m sure I’ll be back at some point. But I’d love to hear what other people’s favourites are.