Eras, Myths, & Creatures:

So, I’m working on a story and I want to add things from all kinds of past eras, myths, and strange creatures. Like pirates, or the city of Atlantis, or a Yacumama… Any ideas?

William Butler Yeats has some good books about fairy myths - some of them are a little kookey and might need editing for a story (like the parts about demons : P ).

1 Like

Hmm, I’ll look into that. Thanks.

Look into the Basque and Alpine mythologies.

1 Like

Does your story setting have some kind of a theme? Like the land of fairy tales? The land where all the myths are true? ???

Do you intend to put your own twist on myths and creatures or to use them straight according to tradition?

1 Like

My own twist where a bunch of myths end up being somewhat true on an island.

You might want to pick one or two regions and research those myths specifically so as to have some coherence to the ecology and culture you’re creating – unless you’re going for outrageous and contradictory on purpose. That usually works best in comic fantasy, but some authors have pulled it off in a “straight” piece.

Yeah, I’m going for stuff like Amelia Earhart was sucked into this island kind of myth. Bonkers, crazy, most likely unbelievable/common myths.

1 Like

Should be fun.

What kind of climate is it? A very badly lost Sasquatch or Yeti on a tropical island could be a blast. Or a tiny version of a lake monster like the Loch Ness monster as a common pond animal.

2 Likes

Those are great ideas. :smile:

1 Like

Building on the tropical theme, why not have palm tree treants? (Or, if it’s cold…what about pines?) Why should all treants be temperate-deciduous oak types, anyway? Besides…a treant lobbing coconuts is an absolutely terrifying thought.

2 Likes

A live tree yeeting coconuts? I like…

1 Like

There are a lot of historical and legendary places that have myths surrounding them… or that are basically mythological in their own right. For things from historical eras, maybe look at using the seven wonders of the ancient world? Or look up some historical artifacts, or historical documents if you need to throw in some interesting items or treasures?

Here’s a few more lists of places that might be fun to look at. I am particularly fond of Tir-na-nOg :slight_smile:

https://www.legendsofamerica.com/lost-landmarks-vanished-sites/

2 Likes

Ooh cool, thanks.

The podcast ‘Spirits’ covers myths and legend (old and new) from all over the world and might be a good place to look.

1 Like

Thanks!