Conspiracy theorist tries to "out" his guardian angel: but how?

This is basically the premise of “She’s an Angel” by They Might Be Giants, but I thought it would be fun to write a whole novel about it!

I was hoping to throw ideas around with everyone to figure out the plot. I have the basic plot:

The guardian angel gets assigned to the conspiracy theorist. I haven’t decided if the angel is there for the theorist’s whole life, or if he gets assigned to him later in life. The theorist has a few accidents where he almost dies, but the angel protects him. He starts to suspect him. The rest of the story is the angel trying to keep his cover while the conspiracy theorist tries to catch him in the act of saving him. I’m pretty sure that the conspiracy theorist is going to prove that this guy is an angel, but nobody will believe him because his theories are too wild.

What do you guys think?

I kind of like the idea of the angel and the theorist both being guys, but I might change that. Also, I don’t know what the relationship will be between the angel and the theorist. Maybe they become friends so it’s easier for the angel to protect the theorist.

3 Likes

Depends on what your angel can do. Can he intervene directly, or must his help be indirect? Are minor miracles allowed?

For instance, if the CT is in a runaway speeding car, would the angel pluck him from the car and deposit him safely on the sidewalk (miracle), physically slow the vehicle with angelic magic (direct intervention), or cause a bit of road grime to gum up a sensor on the car that triggers the automatic braking system (indirect intervention).

If he wants to prove to me that the guy is an angel, I’m gonna need to see some miracles.

I’m thinking the angel intervenes indirectly, but the CT pushes it until he has to intervene directly.

1 Like

I like it. There’s certainly some merit to adapting the song into a longer story.

Considering the source material, there should probably be some romance involved.

I think it would be funny if the CT is able to hide most of his conspiracies from the angel, especially if he’s able to find the “headquarters” for the angels (Gonna speak to the man in charge /
The secretary says he’s on another line, / Can I hold for a long, long time?) and pokes around just enough to learn that the angel who is following him around is actually an angel. I can see most of the plot revolving around the CT knowing she’s an angel, but her still trying to do her job and concealing the fact that she is.

Maybe he has to throw himself off a building at some point to prove to her that he knows. (When you’re following an angel / Does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?)

1 Like

I have a feeling I’m going to have this song stuck in my head from now until December 1st…

(welcome to community kit_and spinach)

1 Like

Thank you!

(no problem kit_and spinach :slight_smile: )