Civilization Builders Unite!

Hey guys! Here’s where we talk about creating peoples, nations, and other civilization-related activities! So, what civilization are you creating right now? :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Ooh! So…I wrote a book a while ago that I’m gonna try to revise sometime soon. The idea is that my civilization lives on Callisto, one of Jupiter’s moons, but they don’t know about us (and they never will). I just keep thinking it would be cool to make a note in the back of the book if I ever published it and say, like, that it all happened on Callisto. Anyway, the civilization lives in a series of tunnels, caverns, and caves and only finds the above-ground world later in the story (government issues kept them underground).

4 Likes

That sounds so cool! I never would have thought to write about a same universe civilization that would never know about earth.

2 Likes

I’m developing a new world that has a futuristic witchy vibe. It’s way post apocalyptic and the new society that has formed is an urban one, futuristic in style, but made using magic technology, not just a cyber punk type of deal. Still in the works though, for now.

2 Likes

I’m in the early stages of creating my post apocalyptic society. There’s not much to it since, you know the Apocalypse. Very paranoid, very totalitarian, very religious.

And they’re going to try to kill their savior(s) because WITCHES!

1 Like

Wow. Very cool. :slight_smile:

I love building civilizations. My favorite parts are sociological aspects like religion, gender expectations, and politeness structures. There’s such variety you can get into.

2 Likes

The specific civilization I’m working on right now is magitek society a few generations after global warming destroyed their planet and they fled to a new one. They have records of more advanced tech, but they don’t have the tools (or knowledge or resources) to recreate it. They dream, though.

The new planet is also significantly colder and in the middle of an ice age. I like cold settings. :smiley_cat:

5 Likes

My main one that I’m working on at the moment is the one I referenced in Creature Creation, where humans genetically altered via the DNA of a native sapient species have had an effect on the civilization of the colony. Plus, their interaction with alien races, and the mostly trade-based alliance with four alien species for the last several centuries has shifted their civilization as well. It’s fun! :grin:

5 Likes

I’ve been having fun finding alternatives to classic fantasy civilization tropes. Specifically, playing with alternatives to bloodline inheritance, the class system, and strict monarchy. So far I’ve got a sort of tribal republic that calls itself a kingdom because the one thing they could all agree on was that they didn’t want that kingdom over there to think they were easy prey.

9 Likes

I’ve been having fun finding alternatives to classic fantasy civilization tropes. Specifically, playing with alternatives to bloodline inheritance, the class system, and strict monarchy. So far I’ve got a sort of tribal republic that calls itself a kingdom because the one thing they could all agree on was that they didn’t want that kingdom over there to think they were easy prey.

Lol that sounds awesome!

2 Likes

Aaand I’m the guy that just rips off a fair bit of history.

Seriously, the basic premise of the current main world is superpowers appearing at the beginning of the Industrial Revolution. Although … that raised some directions I didn’t want to go in, and while there are definitely a fair number of historical parallels that have been bent to my own nefarious purposes, and some people, it’s definitely not alt!history and some things have been built from the ground up (ritual magic systems, dualistic gods, and so on, and how they change things).

Chasing down implications is always fun.

4 Likes

Tell me you’ve heard of Shadowrun! It’s a videogame franchise that is cyberpunk with magic, elves, dwarves, etc.

1 Like

Ah, civilization building. I always neee to do more. I have like, six races running around my sci-fi setting. There are other factions, including a bunch of old AIs that link back to now-extinct species. Then there are different planets which each have their own thing… I can never get anything nicely built! I gotta find a way to get more done.

5 Likes

I’ve got a solarpunk world where everyone lives in large Enclaves, outside the walls is not safe (beasts, blinding dust storms, marauders near the coasts …). The magic system is clearly understood and scientifically studied, about ten percent of the population has some magical gift, but still sometimes a rare or unusual combination of aptitudes crops up. Tech is limited because power is precious, and people carry power storage packs and transfer units of power to others as the currency.

3 Likes

@Susanna_Marcello I haven’t heard of it, but I’m going to go look it up now! That sounds awesome.

2 Likes

I’ve got a superhero civilization, too! I guess it’s more alt!history, because I am trying to keep it as close to the real world as possible except for those places where there would be obvious changes based on the existence of superpowers. They were ‘discovered’ between WWI and WWII (although everyone knew about them before the Enlightenment up and decided they weren’t real) so most of the differences are some time after that. I think it fits pretty well, given how many gaps there are to fill in real history the farther back you go.
My favorite is figuring out exactly how the bigotries and harmful social structures around superpowers work, and how they relate to extant power structures. Right now they’re moving from Model Minority status into the Criminal/One Of The Good Ones dichotomy as people become less pro-war (since they were ‘discovered’ on the battlefield, and indelibly associated with it), but they work differently for different subsets of powers.

5 Likes

@zorilleerrant

The early 20th century is an interesting time to have superheroes, too! If I remember right, the 1920s and 30s were when DC comics got going, anyway (Marvel didn’t really get going until WWII), but I imagine everything is a whole lot different when they’re in the real world rather than in fiction. I’m curious about how the knowledge of them disappeared during the Enlightenment — I imagine that had a lot to with the West trying to rationalize the world, but did they go into hiding around that time? In nonWestern countries with different attitudes, did people continue to know about them longer? And did they change the mythical landscape with different legends? (I’d imagine discovering that superpowers have always existed excited a lot of folklorists at the time, with what it could mean for their field.)

If it’s alt!history are there historical figures running around?

My superpowered folks are also pretty tied to the military, although given that they appeared shortly before an analogue for the Seven Year’s War, and shook up an established chaos/order dichotomy in the religion I’ve dealt with the most, they never had anything like a model minority status. I know mental powers tend to get judged significantly more harshly in mine; how does the breakdown work in your world?

1 Like

My civilization is on a planet far from earth but very old and have a species called the Fugians living up it. They found earth thousands of years later when all humans are dead and earth’s gravity had shifted enough to develop floating islands. They go to earth to study it and the ancient human civilization that lived there. They are much more advanced than humans and have wings, so they can fly everywhere they go!

With an innate special ability, each Fugian specializes in specific areas and careers. They have their own wars, religions, language, philosophy, education, politics, and government that has secrets of their own. Their normal calendar year is 687 days long with 25 hours in a day. They have thirteen months can live up to over 200 years old.

I also have a lot written down about the Fugian race from their generic looks to how their bodies operate in different climates. Just need to flesh out everything including the characters within it, as well as change some names around. I do not know what I was thinking when I started naming some of these characters (example: King A’A)….:woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

The world I’m currently building is fairly similar to Earth, (ecologically, not geographically) so the primary civilization is where most of my efforts are focused. I’ve drawn inspiration from several real-world cultures, combined them with ideas I thought were cool, and slowly built it up into a functioning civilization. I remember it being so freeing when I realized I didn’t have to conform to the generic medieval western European style of civilization for fantasy worldbuilding. Now, I’ve got a country in the midst of an industrial revolution enhanced by a strict magic system that has the fun side effect of aiding scientific research. Being able to see matter and energy on the molecular level is certainly useful in several fields. Meanwhile, I’m drawing a good deal of inspiration from Chinese culture, with a complicated seniority system and some fun politeness politics, as well as a high literacy rate. I’m having so much fun.

4 Likes