Welcome to the Character Respond, Answer, Ask thread! Hopefully we can see how this works out with the new foum software.
I’m sure some of us are familiar with RAAs from previous NaNos, but for new people — the main posts around here have three parts, usually numbered. If it’s not formatted like that; it’s not the active post.
- Response: Once the thread gets going, the previous poster will have answered a question about their character in part 2, so give them some feedback on that. Since we can here, it’s helpful to @ the person you’re responding to, so they know they’ve got a response, and so we can see if anyone got skipped! And it’s definitely helpful to keep in mind the kind of feedback you’d want to receive — nobody wants to be ripped to shreds in a public forum, but we’d all like something specific. If you’re not sure how to critique, the sandwich method — something you liked, crit/something that can be improved, something you liked — is useful!
- Answer: The previous user left a question in their part three; here’s where you answer it. You answer with a scene, with meta, or even from a character’s point of view; whatever works for you, and be as detailed as you like.
- Ask: Here’s where you leave a question for the next poster. It can be about anything you like — backstory, preferences, moral compass, how they interact with other characters — but try and keep it applicable to a wide range of characters. You never know who is going to be the next poster.
That’s the main gist of it, but there are a few other things you might want to bear in mind:
- Ninjas and bonus responses: Sometimes, multiple people will respond to a post at around the same time; we call that a ninja. If someone beats you to the punch, that’s all right — it happens to most regulars eventually. But everyone deserves a response; so please respond to the person above you as well. You don’t have to answer their question, though. You can pass it on if you like! You may also find a post you really want to comment on, and you can give a bonus as well.
- Response fairies: Sometimes ninjas don’t get fixed right away. A response fairy is when someone goes and makes sure the skipped person gets a response, and it’s polite to do it when you see it. Everyone who gives a response deserves a response.
- Be respectful and don’t clutter the thread: Mind the community standards, and be respectful about feedback goes without saying. Also: there’s a sub forum for role play and private messages if you would like to get into an extended discussion with someone here. This is especially true since you can’t nest discussions in this forum.
- Content and Trigger Warnings: Sometimes we post excerpts or want to discuss something on a sensitive topic. No one here thinks you shouldn’t, but content warnings are appreciated so people have the tools to avoid discussions they need to avoid. Video Games and TV both provide content warnings, and movies and books are easily google-able for things people commonly need to avoid. They don’t have to be long, but use common sense. All people are asking for is a heads up so they can curate their own experiences.
- All genres and character types are welcome.
That should about cover it. Enjoy your stay!