Carnival Row

About a week ago my wife and I binged Carnival Row. I was pleased that there aren’t any actors or characters that I outright disliked. The writing and acting is all quite good and while there are some elements of plot that were a bit predictable, I found the plot fun to watch unfold and work on connecting the clues. I am a sucker for stories where all of the parts connect in some way.

I don’t normally find Urban Fantasy stories where there is some emphasis on Fantasy that I actually like. I have no taste for stories involving the Seelie and Unseelie courts that are set at the courts. This one takes elements of fae characters and spins them in a way that I haven’t seen before. I also liked the emphasis on URBAN. I prefer my stories to be grounded in reality as much as possible–even if that reality is an AU.

One of my least favorite characters in the story ended up being my favorite character at the end because of the character development they experienced. There is a definite change for all of the characters from the beginning to the end. I even found Orlando Bloom’s character interesting–someone I had seen the likes of before, but both the writing and Bloom himself made the character intriguing.

If you have seen Carnival Row, what is your take on the story?

We just finished watching through episode 7. The scenes in their assembly keep reminding me of very real life politics going on in the UK and US right now which pulls me out of the full fantasy submersion, but otherwise we’re really enjoying it.

I haven’t read a lot of fantasy with Fae, but I like that so far it portrays them in a different way than I’d expect.

A minor gripe - Sometimes I feel like I’m playing catch-up trying to figure out if a scene is taking place in the present or the past. But it usually doesn’t take too long.

1 Like

I really enjoyed it. I liked the grit to the show, the feeling of steam punk but not actually being steam punk. The fantasy elements were unique, I enjoyed watching their world unfold. But as mentioned before there are some pretty predictable parts, I knew one thing at the very beginning though it wasn’t revealed until the end. But that’s the chance you take with things like that. But it was well done and I’m grateful Amazon renewed it for the second season.

1 Like