Can you think of any good witchy names

I’m planning a story with a lot of characters who are witches, good, bad, and in between. I’ve thought of a few and gone to baby name generators, etc. But I figured some good old fashion Nano crowd-sourcing would probably be more helpful than all of that anyways.

Names I’ve used already:
Winnifred
Imogen
Tabitha
Avira

Do you care if it’s already in a show or anything? The only ones I can come up with at the moment are from Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

My blood witches in one book are all named after deadly flowers. For example, Belladonna is the head of the Coven and her right hand is Hemlock. Both are deadly plants that can kill but look like pretty flowers.

1 Like

@Ri_Ann wow that’s such a great idea! I won’t copy you though :slight_smile: but I like the idea of plant names.

No, I don’t care :slight_smile:

Well then, here are some of the ones mentioned in the show. I don’t think these names would give spoilers as to what ultimately happens in the show, but I still want to say that if anyone wants to watch the show at any point should potentially skip reading this list.

• Charlotte
  • Oktavia Von Seckendorff
  • Walpurgisnact
  • Elsa Maria
  • Homulity (from the movie, not the show, but counts as a witch regardless)

Um…I don’t think I’m missing any other witches from the show. If anyone has seen the show and can name other witch names that I missed, feel free to share them.

DISCLAIMER: It would not be a good idea to simply copy the names of these witches into your story or other written work, especially if you plan to publish it. Use the names only as inspiration, and credit the source if need be.

That reminds me of the Dauthdaertya from the Inheritance Cycle. Those spears were named after the most beautiful flowers in the world but used for the sole purpose of killing dragons by the hundreds.

thank you!

Np! Glad I could help. :slight_smile:

I’d refrain from just copying names from another work. People familiar with that work would probably notice a bunch of them being used in another work, and might come to undesired conclusions based on that.

Yeah, that’s true. It probably should have been a disclaimer on my original post with the names, but it didn’t cross my mind. As @Lilith_Fairen said, it might trigger some readers if they recognized where the names came from, and would lower your credibility as an author (It’s a different story if it’s a fanfiction for a particular work, though).

You could use the names as inspiration for your story, though. That’s not against the law, I don’t think.

I’ve always associated witches with traditional slavic folklore, so here you are, Polish versions of English names:
Elizabeth -> Elżbieta
Agnes -> Agnieszka
Catherine -> Katarzyna
Margaret -> Małgorzata
Also traditional slavic names are pretty cool: Ludmila, Nadeja, Bogna, Stanisława. I don’t know if that fits your story, but maybe you’d like some of those.

1 Like

You could always go the “My Little Pony” route and name them based on their specialty. Back when I was a teenager, that’s kind of how a lot of people chose their Wiccan names: they took a few things that were special to them and combined them. Usually included a lot of “natural” elements like various plants, animals, minerals, planets, moon phases, what have you. So you’d get really fun and fanciful combinations that were unique to each person. Like Tiger Moonbeam, Lily Luckbrought, Agate Smithstrong, Patience Rainbow, Neptunia Honeyheart, Silken Newmoon. It was very bohemian, lol.

1 Like

I love this idea, and it brings up a good thought. Like most religions, witchcraft comes in a variety of different denominations. If you’re borrowing any of your witchy world-building from real-life traditions, you might want to look to traditional names from within those cultures. My knowledge of the various traditions has gotten very hazy over the years, so I can’t give you much in the way of specific examples, but I’m sure there’s a book or wiki somewhere that could fill in the gaps, lol.

1 Like

In line with some of the names you’ve already mentioned using in the first post, I actually made a (very subjective) list of names with a casual yet witchy vibe for one of my projects! I’ll share a few of the ones that I liked the most, but haven’t gotten around to use for anyone yet.

• Sadie
  • Rowan
  • Marissa
  • Niamh
  • Penny
  • Virginia
  • Amber/Ember
  • Cornelia
  • Artemis
  • Iris
  • Neriah
  • Ruby
  • Maisie
  • Althea
  • Cora
  • Ida
  • Sylvie/Sylvia
  • Vita
  • Ira
  • Evangeline
  • Micah
  • Marisol
  • Hattie
  • Abigail
  • Kori
  • Cassidy
  • June
1 Like

You’re right, they are some really fantastic names. I hadn’t even thought about using names from other cultures. I particularly love Ludmila and Nadeja. Thank you so much!

That’s such a great list!!!

You’re welcome! Those two are of Russian origin, Ludmila means “kind for the people” and Nadeja is “hope”. So either those are really nice witches or evil witches who are trying to defy their names. :stuck_out_tongue:

oh that’s so good to know, thanks!