August: Recuperation is for Us

Hello, my wonderful OAs. Camp is over and it is time to chill out. Or keep going. Or whatever it is you do.

What do you do? I’m almost done with fixing up a draft to hand off to beta readers, but I have a pretty busy weekend. So I’m hoping to be done with that a week into August (at most). Then there is the start of the OA book club and me finally reading the Hitchhiker’s Guide. Been looking forward to it! I have a book with all five of the series in it, I wonder if I can try to read all of it this month…

I hope Camp went well, or at least that you all accomplished some good things, goal or not.

1 Like

Weirdly enough, I think August may be a month of writing for me, since I didn’t participate this July. Now that I’m leaving my current, stressful job, I hope I’ll have more time to write!

1 Like

I’m in a similar boat as @yuuen. I didn’t do Camp this year for various reasons, but August is shaping up to be more conducive to goal-oriented writing. I’m working at a slightly-faster-than-glacial pace on my last rewrite for a YA fantasy. I’m also going to start rereading prior books in my series to prep for NaNo, when I plan to continue (finish?) that series. I’m looking forward to it!

2 Likes

I’m flailing a little bit because August means less than three months until NaNo, and I still have some technical backend stuff to do on my site and the wiki and of course backing up all my old NaNoMail and buddies before the full launch of this site. It’s getting real now, folks.

This is further complicated by the fact that my weekends in August are already pretty full and I work ~50 hours/week. Seriously, when a friend asked me last night about doing something we talked about LAST YEAR, I said “uh, all my August Saturdays are already booked for at least the afternoon (relevant for something that’s usually a full-day thing like going to a theme park), but a couple of Sundays are still free”.

So recuperation? What’s that?

3 Likes

aw hecc, I forgot I was supposed to be backing up my buddies and nanomail. I don’t think I’m gonna be bothering too much xD

2 Likes

The NaNoMails in particular will be an Adventure™.

1 Like

It’s that time where we pretend we aren’t writing, preparing to write, or doing post-writing activities. (Don’t tell anyone it’s pretend!)

2 Likes

I will hopefully actually be writing a lot in August! July was terrible for me, my camp goal totally imploded. Trying to get some daily writing in this month, but also doing some revising and swapping with betas.

1 Like

Camps have been an Issue lately. I swear the only thing that keeps the 100% win streak going these days is - that winstreak itself. Can’t start losing NOW!

I suppose I’ll start my monthly goals back up.

1 Like

I’m going to keep writing now that Camp has helped me get back in the habit, but I’m also going to take it a little easier. I don’t have much time to play games during my day, so I want to play some. So it might be a case of one day write, the next play, repeat.

2 Likes

I’ll be writing…my bachelor’s thesis, that is. Novel’s gonna have to take the backseat for a bit. Though reading does motivate me to write!

1 Like

I am currently editing/reverse outlining at a minimum of 500 words per day for my original Camp project. Any words over this will be returned to fandom as per usual. So far, so good and it seems to be working. We will see how long I can keep it up for as Camp project decided it’s going to join one of my earlier works which also is not edited. I would like to finish August with an actual first draft if I can.

1 Like

I’ve been generating daily goals between 1 and 5000. I’ve actually been writing more, and more consistently, than I did during Camp. Oops.

2 Likes

I have a lot of formatting and finalizing to do on my Cinema Connections book, since I want it to be ready to self-publish by the time the last post of the blog hits on 30 August. Granted, the book itself won’t release until 29 September, but I’d rather be done with it than cut it too close to the deadline.

1 Like

My house guest left last night and I have today to chill out before going back to work. I should be writing, but I’m just reading instead. I’m still very tired. But I do want to make some scrambled eggs…

1 Like

I’m editing some, but I don’t have big writing goals for this month. I’d like to start on some kind of non writing artistic project, but I have no real ideas as to what that might be.

1 Like

A friend of mine started making candles. It looks like lots of fun.

2 Likes

So far, yep. recuperation sounds about right. Lots of Skyrim and some social media (don’t like the latter, but I went to a workshop on Building an Author Platfrom, so, um, yeah) so far.

Current goal is to finish reading the novel I promised to give feedback on. Then I’ll get back to the revision. Still hoping to finish this write-up by the end of the month, but not sure it’s doable anymore. We’ll see, I guess. I suspect I will speed up closer to the end, so that might help momentum.

1 Like

So far, so good. I have managed to pin down some general information for last month’s project and am starting the rewrite. I already have 2 missing scenes and considering completely throwing out the beginning to focus on a particular part of the plot as there is next to no build up. Nearly at 25k written for August already in total. I’m trying not to get distracted by how to track everything as I go so I don’t have to keep stop/starting. This is a good sign so far.

Also managed to finish reading one of the books I have ongoing which was fun and interesting. Feeling oddly accomplished at the moment.

1 Like

I’m recovering from Camp, and realized today that I’m in the midst of a depression. It probably started during the last third of July, which means I won’t have to rest that much longer before I’m able to start writing again. I mean, I should be halfway through as 3 weeks have already passed. I did get just over 64k written during the first three weeks of Camp, so I’m happy.

Of course, writing will have to wait quite a bit longer, as I’ve signed up for a novel swap circle thing. Just a few days more and I’ll know if I’m in an alpha group with a completed trilogy of mine, at 250k words (matched with two around 200k novels), or if I’m in an incomplete group with what I wrote during Camp.

1 Like