Audiobooks

Curious what people’s ideas on Audiobooks are. I love them as long as they are well written, but other people I know absolutely hate them because they aren’t physically reading the book themselves. Some people I’ve met think they’re making people lazy/affecting people’s attention span and ability to read properly. Personally, I like having a physical book in my hands most of the time, but if the Audiobook is a good one I listen to it repeatedly like a favorite CD/song playlist. I actually might want to do voiceover work for Audible someday. Any thoughts?

1 Like

As someone who has a somewhat lengthy commute to work each day (~30-40 minutes), audiobooks are a lifesaver. I agree that some poorly-written books still have problems, but they’ll have those problems in print as well. I use Overdrive to get free audiobooks from my library, so it’s not costing me anything (plus, I can listen at double speed, which is nice). As for “lazy” or affecting attention span, I think I probably comprehend more from audiobooks than actually sitting down and reading (and it’s faster, too). I’m a bit of an auditory learner, so listening is easy for me.

As for some great examples, I’d try As You Wish, which is a behind-the-scenes look at the making of The Princess Bride by actor Cary Elwes. I’m also digging the narrator for the Dark Tower series by Stephen King right now. The Shakespeare’s Star Wars series is also pretty great (with sound effects and all).

3 Likes

I haven’t listened to audiobooks much in the past because I have a hard time focusing on what’s happening in the story when I’m also doing something else, but I’ve been getting into them more lately, and I do enjoy them a lot for walks or when I’m doing mindless things like the dishes. One I really enjoyed recently was Carry On by Rainbow Rowell, I thought the narrator was really great. The sequel is coming out soon and I’m excited to hear the next one in audiobook also.

1 Like

I pretty much only listen to audio books on long car trips. I have a problem finding books I want to read on audiobook. It always seems like such a random selection.

I quite enjoyed Scalzi’s Red Shirts on audio, though.

1 Like

I’m not a big audiobook fan - I’m one of these weird people who ‘hears’ the story as I’m reading, so listening to an audiobook is a bit like watching a film of a book when you’ve got a fixed image of the characters in your head. Also, they make me fall asleep…
However, bf does like audiobooks a lot, and they might help me get through Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the only one of the Harry Potter books I haven’t read.

I love listening to audiobooks when making dinner. (I only listen with earbuds because the last time I had an audiobook playing out loud the book on writing shocked me and my highschooler with something mature.)

We love listening to the Dr. Who audiobooks from Overdrive together. The Empty House with the 11th doctor is one of his best stories!

I’ve never tried to listen to an audiobook because I don’t think it would work well for me. I simply can’t just listen to things and do just that. Unless I’m watching TV, sound is kind of always background to me, unless I sing along. Reading a book is an activity for me, whilst I really don’t think Audiobooks would work like this for me, and I’d just start doing something else and won’t actively listen, which would be moot. Though I guess I do listen to podcasts… so maybe it’s a length thing as well?

One of my favorites! Listened to it on a trip across the country and it was a blast. Can’t wait for the sequel.

I’m starting a new job with a long commute and I can’t wait to supplement my true crime podcasts with audiobooks. I don’t have much time to sit down and read anymore, so it’ll be great to finally “read” again.

1 Like

Some of my favorites are Alfred Molina’s reading of “Treasure Island”, Tim Curry’s reading of “A Christmas Carol”, and Douglas Hodge’s readings of “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” and “Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator”.

I really love full cast audiobooks. For example, Sadie is in a neat format that switches between narration and a true crime podcast, and I thought it was well done.

1 Like

Personally I don’t really like them, but back when I was a little kid, trying to learn to read, my mom made me listen to them. They helped me a lot, listening to the audio alongside the actual book. Other than helping me learn to read, I haven’t enjoyed audiobooks. I don’t think it makes people lazy or anything. I think it comes down to taste. I prefer reading, because then I could go at my own pace and I don’t have to worry about rewinding if I didn’t understand a sentence. I also think I don’t pay as much attention listening to a book, and I find that I concentrate a lot more when I’m actually reading.

I have a theory about me not being able to listen to audiobooks. I learned to read at the age of four, and I never again wanted anyone to read to me. I think I then simply didn’t learn to listen to stories. I read physical books and e-books only, but I’ve given audiobooks a few chances, too.

Audiobooks are books, however. It’s a vehicle for the story. I have nothing against them, they’re just not for me.

1 Like

I was actually four when I learned to read too but it was because my dad read to us/with us until we were in our early teens, a chapter of some classic novel, every night.

2 Likes

As I’m finding that I have less and less time to actually sit and read a book due to RL things that need to be done, I have started to listen to one in particular when I was desperate to re-read the actual book. It was a freebie that I got and in all honesty I will probably get a couple more so I can listen to the book while I’m cleaning/cooking/commuting or just genuinely need to use my hands for something else. I can also see it replacing my music for car trips.

The one I got was a version of Good Omens and from the reviews I read of it, I think it is the newer version that a lot of people are not keen on. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes I was walking around with a daft smile on my face in sections but I didn’t care because it was Good Omens, it is one of the few books that no matter what, it always makes me laugh and brings a smile to my face. I want to try some of the other Discworlds that I haven’t read recently or been able to finish re-reading due to the sheer lack of time that I have.

Although saying that I am a speed reader, I can blast through reading Good Omens in the space of about 5 hours when I’m doing nothing else, but the audiobook I got was 12 hours long which initially put me off. The length of some of the others is also slightly off putting. I mean I know I miss things because I do speed read so having someone read it to me actually helped me pick up and remember things that I had sped past before.

The only thing that worries me is that I have a thing about voices so if a voice is the wrong colour I can’t stand it. Thankfully I can preview before I pick them up.

Short version: I’m trying it and enjoying the one that I do have. Now to choose another.