Anyone else not reaching 50k at all?

I feel like I’m at a crossroads where I don’t really understand whether I should continue puruing the magical 50k or accept myself as a short story writer? I’ve started univerisity, I don’t have the time and energy due to mental health to reach 50k in November. THrough out the year, I write a lot, but I don’t think my stories ever reach 50k these days besides my WWII epic. That’s about it. So it’s bittersweet to know your limit, but things change, but it’s good to know yourself and your limits. I guess I wanted it out there.

4 Likes

I feel it’s more important to pick up writing as a habit and learn self-discipline than it is to reach 50k. Set your own goals outside word counts. I think knowing your limits is important. If the story calls for less or more, you’ll know. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Definitely nothing wrong with being a short story writer! I kind of envy you in that, because I have such a hard time writing short stories! (The only time I’ve really managed good ones are when they’re part of a series, so I don’t have to try to scrunch one of my large plots into a tiny word count.)

I am sorry that you’re having difficulty reaching 50K in November, but as yuuen says, the real point is to get in the habit. (Says the person who is still trying to get into the habit, though I’ve been doing NaNo for over a decade now…)

:+1: and all the kudos to you!

2 Likes

@yuuen @TrudyG thank you so much to both of you! Well, I’ll still be very evident here and feeling old haha.

2 Likes

I’m still trying to get in the habit myself. I have finally decided that I’m aiming for a habit of averaging 800 words a day. I can always build from there.
Nice to know I’m not the only one in that boat.

2 Likes

If you’re writing, you’re doing great! :slight_smile: Knowing your limits is a very good thing. Writing while still being able to manage and enjoy the rest of your life is way better and way more important than trying to reach an arbitrary goal at all costs.

2 Likes

I’m glad to see a fellow epic writer on here. How far along is your epic? Mine has been brewing for nine years and has finally reached 175k words. It seems to be taking forever. And right now I’m not even separating the different books. I’m just getting the words out there. I look at it as I can separate it all out later. Do you think that’s a good thing or a bad thing?

Stop pursuing 50k. It’s the most liberating thing I’ve ever done. I once could crank out 50k and would have several 5k+ days in a month. I can no longer do that. These days, a 2k day is excellent for me. But you know, there’s no NaNo Police to stop me from using math to make the site reflect my goal or from copying 50k worth of Lorem Ipsum into the verification box to reflect my win. I went from dreading NaNo to enjoying it again. So, stop pursuing 50k and set your goal to something more attainable. I only did 25k last year and plan on doing it again this year.

1 Like