52 Weeks, 52 Books

Welcome to the a traditional challenge: Read a book every week!

It sounds really simple, but just like writing 50,000 words in a month sounds simple on paper, the reality is much more difficult.

Most people start count in January, just because it’s simpler that way, but that’s not by any means a rule, just like you don’t have to read 52 books, maybe you want to start with 10 or 20 - or maybe you know you read a lot and are aiming for over 100!

Tell us how it’s going, tell us how you liked the books, tell us what you’re reading next!

1 Like

I’ve been doing this. I’m three books behind, but I’m not worried.

I just read The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams, and I plan to read the next four books (and the short story) before the end of the month.

I started a book club that will make sure I at least get to one book a month from now on. Next month is Good Omens (which I’ve already read, many times, of course, but not this year. :stuck_out_tongue: )

5 Likes

Okay, since I barely even been reading, I’m posting my entire list so far.

1. Leverage: The Con Job by Matt Forbeck
  2. The Girl in the Green Silk Gown by Seanan McGuire
  3. In an Absent Dream by Seanan McGuire
  4. The Martian by Andy Weir
  5. Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve
  6. That Ain’t Witchcraft by Seanan McGuire
  7. Hazard by Devon Monk
  8. The Prophecy Con by Patrick Weekes

So I’m not sure why I put down Prophecy Con, I think I just got busy and stopped reading. This puts me at twenty-three books behind. Which is the most I’ve been behind since I’ve started trying to get to 52 (I’ve made it once).

The good news is this is the earliest I’ve acknowledged I was behind so in theory I can still make it up. I do have plenty of books waiting for me to read on my Kindle.

1 Like

I’m in! Since today is my son’s birthday it seems like an excellent starting point for a re-committment to read more.

I’m on a nostalgia kick, and am currently re-reading Madam Will You Talk? by Mary Stewart . She and Phyllis A. Whitney were my favorite authors when I was a teenager (about the age my granddaughter is now).

I hope to have this book finished by the time my virtual book club chooses our August read–we’re a bit behind schedule, but I have plenty of books to keep me occupied until a concensus is reached.

1 Like

At some point I would love to intentionally focus on the “one book a week” over “reading 52 books” as I often will cycle between reading nothing for days/months and then reading voraciously to make up for it. That steady habit would be better!

I read 52 books in 2017, but got burned out on reading for a while as a result of cramming a bunch of books at the end of the year to make the goal. This year I’m well on track, tho!

My husband and I have recently dived into the Temeraire series, and I’ve been devouring those! I just started book 7!

Yeah, I binge read. I can read several books in a week, then I move on to TV or video games for a month or so. Then I’m behind.

1 Like

Saaaame. Of the noticeably good seasons of my life, reading in bed each night is often one of the contributing factors. I know this, but do I do it consistently? Pfffft.

I have read 24 books this year (starting January 1st), although I don’t have a goal so much as I wanted to see how much I averaged.
I’m almost done with book 25, Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Mass.

1 Like

I’ve read 186 this year so far. I’m aiming to best my last year, which was 200 I think (they most I’ve ever gotten to give some context was over 400 in a year, but, I was working part-part time that year so I don’t really count it). We’ll see. (I’m also happy that this year more of those books are novels and fewer graphic novels. I love comics, but, want to have more of a 50/50 balance between the two instead of a 70/30).

My most recent read was The Hound of Justice by Claire O’Dell. It’s the sequel to A Study in Honor also by O’Dell. They’re both in the Janet Watson Chronicles, which are awesome!!! They’re diverse books about Janet Watson and Sara Holmes, who are both WOC. They’re (or at least the first one) was marketed as a mystery, but, really, they’re more thrillers. And… as a lover of the TV show that’s going away sob, Elementary, these books were perfect!!!